Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Find a good one
By iward1

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Disco with 98k miles for $6000 in September 2013. Have a Land Rover specialist (preferably not a dealer) do a thorough inspection before you buy. Get a service history. Expect a lot of work to have been done. The only red flag is a history of overheating associated with a very loud engine knock/tap. In the last 10k miles I have replaced the power steering pump and done regular maintenance, about $1200 total. I'm not bothered since I paid so little up front. It's a fantastic truck with an old-school feel. I average 11mpg city and 15mpg highway. If you love it and treat it well, this truck will get to 200k miles and beyond.

I love the interior. It's comfortable on long and short trips, you sit high, there is no 'hump' in the back row, and there is a ton of cargo space. Last Christmas we put an entire 8ft Christmas tree inside, with the back seat folded up. It feels spacious thanks to the high ceiling. I currently have basic all-season tires and they do great in wet and dry conditions, but only decently in snow. I'm looking to upgrade the rubber soon. My model has a coil sprung suspension that performs well on and off road and is thankfully more 'maintenance-free' than the rear air suspension (ACE). The V8 has ample power, so long as you aren't expecting sport car performance. Everything just feels solid.

It handles like a heavy vehicle because it is--not a drawback in my opinion but it must be kept in mind. In the snow, for instance, you have to go slowly because even snow tires with antilock brakes will skid without proper technique. Overall, the biggest negative the Disco has for a lot of people is its maintenance demands. You can't skip anything. You have too keep an eye on the temp gauge. You have to listen for unusual noises. You have to beware of any sign something is going wrong. If not, your driveshaft may snap and take out your transmission, or your oil will get so low you'll junk your engine.

DISCO x 2
By dblake

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

had a 04, HSE destroyed in Katrina, Bought an 03 right after. Typical issue as everyone elses. But one thing you have to realize is if you want town this type of vehicle be prepared to spend the maintenance cash. Yes its expensive to maintain & i have found parts via ebay OE sellers, in addition i happen to have my own personal mechanic with 30+yrs of experience & a 65$ an hr labor rate, so maybe not to shabby for me. For sure if i had to pay the dealer for all the work done so far it may have been sold long ago. I am @ 127k, replaced the Head gasket which is now leaking again 3yrs later. & just routine work. Its long paid off now & i invested so much in repairs i'll run in 4ever

You gotta love this Rover...
By atldane

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I know, I know...horrible reliability, very expensive, low mpg..but I love this vehicle. This is our third one, and this one I am going to keep. I have 130,000 miles on this Discovery, I am pouring money into it, but I love it. It was time to get something more reliable and better on gas, so I chose a new BMW 328i so I could keep the Rover. I now have a new car, but have my boy to take to the lake and use for rugged adventures. You know the saying "if it isn't leaking then it is empty" about Land Rovers. well it is true, true, true! But worth every penny...I really love this truck!!! Very Classic....

The look, the drive, the ruggedness.

Reliability and cost

Discovery-atic
By abombard

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Well, I have owned three Discoveries now; a 98, 2000, and 2003. I have had problems with every one I have owned, in fact, the one I currently own is being repaired - the tail light spontaneously caught on fire. The crazy thing is, I would buy another one; although I would like my next LR to be a Defender. I love the way they feel on and off road - particullarly off road.

Dream Car, but not quite a Nightmare
By vgardon

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted this car and finally bought one in 11/2008. It was already 5 years old, but initially ran well. However, after having it for about 1 year, major issues arose (i.e., O2 sensors went, window motor broke, major ticking noise from under the hood, etc). This car is very expensive to maintain and after a while, it just wasn't worth pouring any more money into it. Thankfully, it has never shut down on me, but I don't think I would buy another one until I know much more about maintaining luxury cars.

The interior of the car and the features are like no other! I love the standard leather power heated seats, the double sunroof, and the Radio steering wheel buttons! Every car I've looked at since my Rover has not come close to this car's interior! Fabulous!

The gas mileage is horrific, the turning radius is not good at all, and the parts are way expensive! These things should be improved upon if ever possible.