2003 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Defective seat
By mimi1956 on 01/31/13 13:49 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our driver side seat craked a couple of years ago on our 2003 Discovery. The same seat keeps blowing the adjustment fuse. We have been getting burnt a little when we turn the heated seat on. My husband just noticed that it is black like a fire was starting, checked my coat and it is burned where I sit. Called the dealer said it's not their problem, called Lard Rover od America and was told the same thing. I sort of think this is a manufacturer defect. This is probably why the seat cracked and the fuse keeps blowing. Should we get a lawyer?

Better than the 2009's
By NancyF on 12/20/09 16:03 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4 years and put about 35000 miles on it have done my maint and have had very few issues with it. The Land Rover dealer here in Co is beyond great!I have looked at a lot of newer cars and suvs to trade to but the quality isn't there. Cheap interiors 2 that ,very cheap looking hate it..junk. As far as reliability its just as good as any chevrolet those have had issues 2 no ind suspension checked out infiniti did not care for there interior either! comparison doesn't hold a candle to Land Rover or Range Rovers int is amazing. And all cars have issues my dad was a mechanic for 40 years.. Not a car you buy even a Honda will not break down. MAINTENANCE!

Tough trucks, but expensive to operate
By Raoulduke101 on 09/25/09 20:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my '03 Disco for just over 6 years now. Bought it used w/ 10k miles. It is a very capable off-road vehicle and can even tough a 4000 pound boat with relative ease (braking is not so great). The truck has held up relatively well, but I have had a number of major problems including a blown manifold gasket ($800 repair), blown axle seals (warranty), 02 sensor ($800 repair), and the window motor ($200, installed myself). Alot of annoying minor problems have occurred also. The gas mileage really stinks (11-12 town, 13-15 hwy) for such a small vehicle. The car is not very comfortable, as you feel pretty crammed inside it. I would not buy another one.

absoloutely wonderful
By loooooove it on 09/17/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After doing much research on which vehicle I should get for my 16 year old I finally decided on a landrover discovery. I found one at a wonderful price and its still running strong after 120,000 miles. Regardless of what the other reviews say it is a very reliable vehicle... Those that have repairs all the time just don't know how to take care of a vehicle. My son loves the double sunroofs and the ability to haul his friends around town. This is a wonderful vehicle for any teen.

Disco is dead
By ROVER NO MORE on 07/28/09 06:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My wife saw this Disco and had to have it and just like the music it didn't last. The real problems started last year when we replaced the power steering pump, then the head gasket went at 67k, then the throttle body heater. The car never went off-road and we had to replace the transfer case at 88k. So much for its legendary off-road capability. And Finally after all that we were told after a flashing service light, one of many, that the engine had failed and needed to be replaced at 93k. Six years old five years owned, bought with 8500 miles. P.O.S car. Never buy english V8s.

Bad, bad, bad
By Run Away Now! on 02/17/09 10:15 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle as a demo model. Has been nothing but unreliable since day one. Yesterday I had to junk it because the engine failed totally! Beware of this year and model car. Look online for issues involving oil pump engine failures. The car was in the shop more than out -- sometimes months at a time -- power window failures, leakage, tailgate failure, numerous mechanical issues and basically a very rough riding car. Since this model year, I will pride Land Rover in coming out with the LR3 --I have heard a much better designed car. But don't buy a 2003 Discovery!

Bring it back!
By weinsteinb on 06/07/08 05:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is by far one of the best looking trucks ever made. The ladies love its sexy looks and the interior! Fantastic sound system!

Bargain Style and Luxury
By Disco_2003 on 04/20/08 06:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

These are now cheap! Why get a new SUV that can't match the style or the capability of the legendary Land Rover Discovery? $13K gets you a nicely equipped, low-miles, unmolested Disco 2003, and from what I hear, the last of the Discos are holding their value (similar to the Defenders, and I can see why). So far, reliability has been top notch (beating the last Lexus I owned) and with scheduled oil changes at 7500 miles, fairly cost-effective to own. Get one and put the savings in a 401K. Of course, be prepared for the less than stellar gas mileage.

Classic!
By LR on 03/22/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

These are phenomenally built trucks that can deliver under the most grueling conditions. 2003 redesign totally transformed these vehicles.

Superb!
By DC Land Rover Owner on 02/10/08 12:01 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Had some reservations going into this purchase due to previous reports of poor reliability. The 2003 redesign appears to have fixed most bugs. I have not had any problems. This thing drives and performs flawlessly. I look forward to getting behind the wheel everyday! Note, gas mileage in city driving is quite atrocious, however, the bargain prices on these should more than offset the poor mileage.