Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Discovery

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Defective seat
By mimi1956

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our driver side seat craked a couple of years ago on our 2003 Discovery. The same seat keeps blowing the adjustment fuse. We have been getting burnt a little when we turn the heated seat on. My husband just noticed that it is black like a fire was starting, checked my coat and it is burned where I sit. Called the dealer said it's not their problem, called Lard Rover od America and was told the same thing. I sort of think this is a manufacturer defect. This is probably why the seat cracked and the fuse keeps blowing. Should we get a lawyer?

Better than the 2009's
By NancyF

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4 years and put about 35000 miles on it have done my maint and have had very few issues with it. The Land Rover dealer here in Co is beyond great!I have looked at a lot of newer cars and suvs to trade to but the quality isn't there. Cheap interiors 2 that ,very cheap looking hate it..junk. As far as reliability its just as good as any chevrolet those have had issues 2 no ind suspension checked out infiniti did not care for there interior either! comparison doesn't hold a candle to Land Rover or Range Rovers int is amazing. And all cars have issues my dad was a mechanic for 40 years.. Not a car you buy even a Honda will not break down. MAINTENANCE!

Favorite Features

Engine is RELIABLE and has 4x4 ABILITY. cup holder capitol of the world LOL

Suggested Improvements

gas and back seat could use 6 inches more leg room. GET the service warranty for 100000 miles on all vehicles!

Tough trucks, but expensive to operate
By Raoulduke101

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my '03 Disco for just over 6 years now. Bought it used w/ 10k miles. It is a very capable off-road vehicle and can even tough a 4000 pound boat with relative ease (braking is not so great). The truck has held up relatively well, but I have had a number of major problems including a blown manifold gasket ($800 repair), blown axle seals (warranty), 02 sensor ($800 repair), and the window motor ($200, installed myself). Alot of annoying minor problems have occurred also. The gas mileage really stinks (11-12 town, 13-15 hwy) for such a small vehicle. The car is not very comfortable, as you feel pretty crammed inside it. I would not buy another one.

Favorite Features

Looks tough. Heavy duty drive train, capable off-road vehicle, powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg. More room inside for such a gas guzzler. More comfortabel seating.

absoloutely wonderful
By loooooove it

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After doing much research on which vehicle I should get for my 16 year old I finally decided on a landrover discovery. I found one at a wonderful price and its still running strong after 120,000 miles. Regardless of what the other reviews say it is a very reliable vehicle... Those that have repairs all the time just don't know how to take care of a vehicle. My son loves the double sunroofs and the ability to haul his friends around town. This is a wonderful vehicle for any teen.

Favorite Features

2 sunroofs, size, safety features.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

Disco is dead
By ROVER NO MORE

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My wife saw this Disco and had to have it and just like the music it didn't last. The real problems started last year when we replaced the power steering pump, then the head gasket went at 67k, then the throttle body heater. The car never went off-road and we had to replace the transfer case at 88k. So much for its legendary off-road capability. And Finally after all that we were told after a flashing service light, one of many, that the engine had failed and needed to be replaced at 93k. Six years old five years owned, bought with 8500 miles. P.O.S car. Never buy english V8s.

Suggested Improvements

Build an engine that can make it to 100k. Not a lot to ask for.