Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Find a good one
By iward1

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Disco with 98k miles for $6000 in September 2013. Have a Land Rover specialist (preferably not a dealer) do a thorough inspection before you buy. Get a service history. Expect a lot of work to have been done. The only red flag is a history of overheating associated with a very loud engine knock/tap. In the last 10k miles I have replaced the power steering pump and done regular maintenance, about $1200 total. I'm not bothered since I paid so little up front. It's a fantastic truck with an old-school feel. I average 11mpg city and 15mpg highway. If you love it and treat it well, this truck will get to 200k miles and beyond.

I love the interior. It's comfortable on long and short trips, you sit high, there is no 'hump' in the back row, and there is a ton of cargo space. Last Christmas we put an entire 8ft Christmas tree inside, with the back seat folded up. It feels spacious thanks to the high ceiling. I currently have basic all-season tires and they do great in wet and dry conditions, but only decently in snow. I'm looking to upgrade the rubber soon. My model has a coil sprung suspension that performs well on and off road and is thankfully more 'maintenance-free' than the rear air suspension (ACE). The V8 has ample power, so long as you aren't expecting sport car performance. Everything just feels solid.

It handles like a heavy vehicle because it is--not a drawback in my opinion but it must be kept in mind. In the snow, for instance, you have to go slowly because even snow tires with antilock brakes will skid without proper technique. Overall, the biggest negative the Disco has for a lot of people is its maintenance demands. You can't skip anything. You have too keep an eye on the temp gauge. You have to listen for unusual noises. You have to beware of any sign something is going wrong. If not, your driveshaft may snap and take out your transmission, or your oil will get so low you'll junk your engine.

Defective seat
By mimi1956

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our driver side seat craked a couple of years ago on our 2003 Discovery. The same seat keeps blowing the adjustment fuse. We have been getting burnt a little when we turn the heated seat on. My husband just noticed that it is black like a fire was starting, checked my coat and it is burned where I sit. Called the dealer said it's not their problem, called Lard Rover od America and was told the same thing. I sort of think this is a manufacturer defect. This is probably why the seat cracked and the fuse keeps blowing. Should we get a lawyer?

Whatever you do keep it awayyyyyy!!
By thesonnyjim

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I was the second owner at 38k miles with existing warranty paid 16.5k from Private seller about 5 years ago. At first glance I loved the car but after driving it for 6 months, a Nightmare!! The gaskets went, luckily I had warranty but still had to pay labor. Every little thing started to break down, cheap plastic pieces would break off and cost expensive for something that should cost very cheap & actuators go alot. Make a long story short after replacing the rear hydraulics (paid 4k & 2 months in the shop) I took the car to a dealer that took it in at a value of 4700 and traded it in for a 2012 Toyota Sienna SE. I'm very happy with that vehicle. A Land Rover...Never again in this lifetime!

The only thing I like about the car were the captain seats and the idea to go over sidewalks and snow banks(actually going over a big snow bank damaged and fractured the front grill and my rear bumper and dented the muffler). The double sunroof was cool but water was seeping into the car damaging the upholstery, had to get that fixed too. I have more unfavorable things then favorable about this junk. It looks pleasing from the exterior but looks get boring after awhile and dependability is just not there. I had the check engine lights and abs go on all the time.

Everything about this model spells money pit and headaches and stress and irate. There is nothing good to say about saving this model and year it was never a good car. Thank God my troubles are gone!!!

Engine damaged after overheating
By jeevanga

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought with 29k and whole year of warranty left for $22000.Used for 4 years and put on only 11k due to terrible gas mileage.Loved the ride and apperance.No issue for 3.5 years then 3 amigos appeard but did not fixed. Engine overheated due to coolent tube leak and seems to be head gasket blown or engine cracked.Sold it to carmax for $7000.

DISCO x 2
By dblake

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

had a 04, HSE destroyed in Katrina, Bought an 03 right after. Typical issue as everyone elses. But one thing you have to realize is if you want town this type of vehicle be prepared to spend the maintenance cash. Yes its expensive to maintain & i have found parts via ebay OE sellers, in addition i happen to have my own personal mechanic with 30+yrs of experience & a 65$ an hr labor rate, so maybe not to shabby for me. For sure if i had to pay the dealer for all the work done so far it may have been sold long ago. I am @ 127k, replaced the Head gasket which is now leaking again 3yrs later. & just routine work. Its long paid off now & i invested so much in repairs i'll run in 4ever