1999 Land Rover Discovery 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - The dealer is the worst

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Review

The dealer is the worst part
By marc on

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

The car is a finnicky and unpredictable machine. It can be a real treat to drive. Gas mileage sucks, especially with the current gas prices. It costs me almost $50 to fill 'er up. Since I bought my LR two years ago, had some problems, like water leaks into the cabin, the power seat works intermittently, muffler rattled (dealer replaced it under warranty), and the darn CHECK ENGINE LIGHT goes off way too much (dealer has to reset the light).The biggest problem though is THE DEALERSHIP. They're pretty pushy about maintenance, and everything costs WAY TOO MUCH to fix. They wanted $600 just to change my spark plug wires! If you can do light auto work, do the jobs yourself to save a few bucks!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, great braking action. Radio controls on the steering wheel.Seats are up high, so you get a good view of the road. The car is very decadent feeling. It drives over anything.

Suggested Improvements

The cabin is cramped and narrow. Seats feel too thin (No, I'm not fat!). You can't see traffic lights that hang above the road because the windshield isn't tall enough. Passenger side view mirror doesn't swivel far enough to see the road properly. The side-hinged tailgate tends to sag as time goes on.