Used 1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Horrible
By ACE

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV Series II 4dr SUV AWD

These have the image of a very capable luxury off-roader but they are cheaply made, poorly designed and manufactured trash. Even the British won't buy them. Beware the check engine, traction control, ABS, and down hill descent control dash lights that are nearly impossible to get to stay off. The 4-wheel drive system is linked to this ABS system and traction control based so your 4-wheel drive won't work. You can't get traction and your tires just spin since it has open differentials. The engine is based off an old Buick design from the 70's. You have to take the intake manifold off to change plug wires. Don't go through large water puddles or the ignition coils will fail.I could go on&on..

Fataly flawed! The people who have given these good reviews haven't had it long enough.

moneypit for sure!!
By charissa

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car with 90k on it for 7 and ended up putting another 7 into it just in repairs. I love the 4wd nothing compares,I have put it to the test and it has never failed me.I now have 225,000 on it and so far she is still taking me through the swamps.

harman kardon stereo awesome sound,4wd.

gas mileage,locks system always sticking,hood latches,clearcoat faded away long ago.

Lux owner
By ecolandrover

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have tested many Land Rovers and found that the older bodies are amazing for lux style. But the engines have problems at 70k new head gaskets. If you're willing to put 2000 into it you will be fine. Overall they are amazing and very, very safe and fun to drive.

Room inside with kids and the heated leather seats. Love the use of leather in the school.

Engine. Please fi the head gaskets and please improve the warr. Other then that great truck, fun and safe.

Just Know What You're Getting
By ah1530

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I absolutely love my Disco 2...in the way that an abused spouse loves their partner. It leaks water, the a/c stinks, sucks fuel like nothing I have ever seen, non-vital parts and sensors are constantly having to be fixed, replaced or reset, and now the plastic snap on bits are falling off (bumper covers and roof trim). All of this, and I never want to get rid of it! It will go absolutely anywhere and it looks great! You just have to know what is going on with the vehicle at all times, and get to know an honest L/R mechanic....and get a 'repair you Rover' savings account. Honestly, it has never not started or left me stranded. It's mostly the sensors that fail for me, not the parts.

Exterior styling. Off-road capability.

Fuel economy. Electronics. Build quality (supposedly addressed, but that doesn't really help me).

Great 4 x 4 City & Camping
By Mike

1999 Land Rover Discovery SUV Series II 4dr SUV AWD

This is certainly the most comfortable the most comfortable Automobile I have owned. I am really impressed with the creature comforts inside. It handles really well and seems to have enough power for getting around. The All wheel drive works well and I live in a vary hilly area. Mileage could be better and is a little sluggish when I put my foot into it. Very solid feel on probably the most sure footed SUV I have owned. As I have just purchased the vehicle these are only my initial impressions. Initially I am Quite impressed.

Interior appointments are superb.

Better Mileage. A bit more powerful engine.