1999 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
FIRST AND LAST LAND ROVER.
By mrimune on 12/07/11 20:00 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

SAVE YOUR MONEY. This piece of british crap will cost you your life savings to keep on the road IT IS A GAS GUZZLING MONEY PIT WITH A CRAP ENGINE.

Wouldn't give this car to my worst enemy
By meetmeinmtauk on 09/12/11 12:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle is all around unreliable. The Discovery I had broke down once a year, and I didn't even drive it that much. My vehicle had 71,000 miles on it. Usually you expect those kind of problems in a car that has more than 120,000 miles. The transmission went out twice, the water pump had a leak. The car would over heat even though I always watched the coolant. The worst thing is that there's only one place around me that fixes land rovers! Any other place that I've tried talking to about it say they don't want to touch the thing. The car is way too expensive and difficult to fix. I'm so glad I traded this car in. Don't buy anything from Land Rover.

Money pit series two
By Mr. Unhappy on 08/03/10 10:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Bought new, worst vehicle I have owned as far as repairs. $20,000 in repairs in ten years. Radiators, hoses, front drive shaft, both axles, abs system repair, main seals, engine rebuild. Currently drivers side heated seat doesn't work, rear wiper broken, two doors locks not working. Too bad the body still looks new, should have sold years ago. Don't but one.

For real 4WD enthusiasts only
By CT Disco II on 02/10/10 07:29 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I am the third owner of a 1999 Discovery II. I knew exactly what to look for and what parts to replace, which I did. No issues from that day forward. If you are not willing to invest from the beginning in genuine LR parts, don't bother because cheap doesn't work. Take care of the vehicle and it will reward you with unlimited capability. To those who complain about reliability, perhaps you should have been proactive and not reactive. Avoid the ACE system at all costs, & get Waxoyl treatment.

Disappointing!
By pete on 12/27/09 23:35 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Land Rover used and I have had a repair at least every two weeks. The water pump,mass air flow sensor, power steering pump, brakes (ok they were due for a change) all gaskets and the list goes on... I am disappointed that there is no CD player and the cup holders are small and are easily broken. The AC does not have a lot of power and does not cool the vehicle in high heat. I like the exterior very much but the vehicle can not be trusted.

One great suv!!!!!
By Cody on 12/14/09 22:11 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have always like off road vehicles.At first it was the Fj cruiser then the Hummer H1&H2 but when I Findlay got to ride in a Hummer I did not like it was to cramped for such a huge vehicle.So I started looking in to other brands I wanted a good reliable 4x4 for my first car.Then I went to an auto show were I got the chance to compare the brands.I was very impressed with the Land Rover brand and immediately scheduled a test drive.I had a lot of people tell me a Land Rover would not make a good car but I did not listen.I do some 4x4 in the weekends and go some seriously deep snow this car is unstoppable off road and a pleasure to drive!

Make sure you read before buy!
By Rover Paul on 09/18/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Amazing truck to own and drive. I love mine. They are fix trucks tho. Every month something will go! If you baby her she will baby you. If you beat on it, it will beat of you! Make sure you know a good shop NOT A DEALER! Stick with a Discovery 2 2000 or above. I have a 1999 and computers are a problem. Over all they are a good truck and will get you out of trouble when the roads are at there end. I WOULD TAKE A LAND ROVER OVER A HUMMER H1 ANYDAY! Just be careful with the buy make sure it has been maintained and had a good owner and you will be fine.

Horrible
By ACE on 08/17/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

These have the image of a very capable luxury off-roader but they are cheaply made, poorly designed and manufactured trash. Even the British won't buy them. Beware the check engine, traction control, ABS, and down hill descent control dash lights that are nearly impossible to get to stay off. The 4-wheel drive system is linked to this ABS system and traction control based so your 4-wheel drive won't work. You can't get traction and your tires just spin since it has open differentials. The engine is based off an old Buick design from the 70's. You have to take the intake manifold off to change plug wires. Don't go through large water puddles or the ignition coils will fail.I could go on&on..

moneypit for sure!!
By charissa on 04/26/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car with 90k on it for 7 and ended up putting another 7 into it just in repairs. I love the 4wd nothing compares,I have put it to the test and it has never failed me.I now have 225,000 on it and so far she is still taking me through the swamps.

Lux owner
By ecolandrover on 01/10/09 18:40 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have tested many Land Rovers and found that the older bodies are amazing for lux style. But the engines have problems at 70k new head gaskets. If you're willing to put 2000 into it you will be fine. Overall they are amazing and very, very safe and fun to drive.