1999 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Just bought disc
By Jimmy on 07/25/10 14:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I have always wanted own a land rover and when I finally purchased one I was pleasant surprised. I love the comfort,space and interior. I have read good and bad reviews on them. I say if you donít have the money to maintain them do not purchased one. Still loving it!

My Land Rover Experience
By leparkes on 12/16/09 10:33 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I was so excited when I got this car back in 2006. I wish I had done more research on it as it turned out to be a money pit. I'm sure I spent more fixing it than what I paid for it. Each time a part got replaced, something else broke. The sunroof quit working, window regulators had to be replaced, the roof leaked terribly, new brakes were put on, the front differential and fuel pump had to be replaced all within about 2 years of each other. I got the car with 70k miles on it and sold it with about 90k, so the mileage wasn't high enough upon purchase to warrant all these repairs. I will never own another Land Rover again.

Don't walk ... run away from it!
By edmeister on 12/31/07 14:39 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

There are very good reasons why this car has depreciated as much as it has. It's designed badly and is unreliable. Seriously, this car has been nothing but a headache to own for the past four years that I've had it. I couldn't be happier to have parted with it. Put just 20,000 miles in four years, and the list of things I had to fix and replace in that time is as long as my, well, you know.

Excellent
By Von on 06/27/06 14:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I'm wondering why the cost of the Land Rover Disc.1 went down. it's an excellent car and has many of the features that new cars are just coming out with. and I think its excellent on gas when you fill it up. I love it. Although I heard nothing but negative things about the car I still purchased it I owe well over the amount that I paid for it but I think it was well worth it..................................... ....................................... ....................................... ....................................... ....................................... ....................................... .......................

1999 SD...The Best of the Best!
By JT on 05/02/06 11:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Until I purchased this Landrover I traded every two years. This is the best car I have ever owned. I have 123,000 miles and all I have done is changed the oil. I am getting ready to purchase a new car, but, the trusty LR is staying in the garage...I just can't part with it.

This one is great!
By Bill K. on 07/03/05 18:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I've had a '96 and a '99 Discovery Series I. The '96 had problems, but the '99 has been nearly perfect. Since 1999 was the last year of the Series I, I suspect that Land Rover managed to iron out the bugs of the previous models. Then, they brought out the '99 Series II, and it all fell apart again. Other than routine maintenance (brake pads), this has been a rock- solid vehicle. With gasoline prices rising, I decided to drop down to 87 octane fuel instead of 92-93 octane premium, and actually get better gas mileage with the same performance! The emissions are probably worse, but how much worse? When I can save 20 to 30 cents a gallon, I am happy to do it. Buy a used '99 Series I.

A money hole
By Jay C on 03/11/05 08:58 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Bought it for off road transportation but I wouldn't trust this thing to get to the grocery store. It leaks, it rattles, it clacks...and the "best" mechanic in town says "Huh...must be a weird engine thing. I dunno what to do." It's heavy and safe but they they don't build gas stations close enough together to keep it fueled. I think these cars are Britain's revenge on us for making them look bad in WWII. If you have some extra money, save yourself a headache and light it on fire. Don't buy a Land Rover.

Loved the car, hated the maintenance
By steve randall on 03/10/05 18:11 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I love Land Rover, but this SUV ended up costing me lots in maintenance. New radiator, gear box, engine lights, etc. I spent over $300/month. Might have gotten a lemon, but I love the car. I'm getting a new one and after talking with other owners, might have been a fluke. Very expensive cars to upkeep for parts. Awesome in bad weather, cross my fingers on the next one.

The Ultimate in Off Road
By tbacon on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I list this vehicle as my all time favorite of the cars I've owned. I never considered myself as an off-road enthusiast until I purchased a Discover. Rock solid off road and even more safe on the highway. Rock solid in heavy rain at 70 mph. Highly recommended as a must own vehicle.

Always a breakdown waiting to happen.
By blahblah on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I loved this vehicle when I first bought it. After about 30,000 miles, I had to have both sunroofs fixed twice, the power steering pump was replaced 3 times, the engine leaked oil, the radiator leaked water, it was just a total mess. Everytime it rained, the headliner got wet. Turned out that the top of the truck had to get re- welded. I would definitely not recommend this truck. You are always left wondering what is going to break next, the abs light started flickering on and off, the check engine, and engine oil lights would come on and off. A total nightmare, thank god I have sold it and now it is somebody elses problem.