Used 1999 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Rugged and Reliable
By hughjazz

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my Disco for almost 7 years now, and have had less repairs done than any vehicle I have ever owned. The only thing I had to do was replace the rear air suspension with springs, as the bags did not last in our sub-arctic conditions. I have 200 miles of Northern Canadian gravel road to travel to the nearest paved road. I use it for camping and exploration in extremely remote areas. It has never left me stranded. Just look at what people drive in Africa and the Outback! They are easy to work on and parts are no more expensive than any other import. Its a shame Land Rover chose to target their marketing at city drivers, as it is NOT the vehicle for them.

Reliability, toughness, character

FIRST AND LAST LAND ROVER.
By mrimune

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

SAVE YOUR MONEY. This piece of british crap will cost you your life savings to keep on the road IT IS A GAS GUZZLING MONEY PIT WITH A CRAP ENGINE.

Exterior / Interior Look Great.

New engine.

Wouldn't give this car to my worst enemy
By meetmeinmtauk

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle is all around unreliable. The Discovery I had broke down once a year, and I didn't even drive it that much. My vehicle had 71,000 miles on it. Usually you expect those kind of problems in a car that has more than 120,000 miles. The transmission went out twice, the water pump had a leak. The car would over heat even though I always watched the coolant. The worst thing is that there's only one place around me that fixes land rovers! Any other place that I've tried talking to about it say they don't want to touch the thing. The car is way too expensive and difficult to fix. I'm so glad I traded this car in. Don't buy anything from Land Rover.

Dual moon-roof is nice, 4-wheel drive.

Improve the whole build, engine, everything.

Money pit series two
By Mr. Unhappy

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Bought new, worst vehicle I have owned as far as repairs. $20,000 in repairs in ten years. Radiators, hoses, front drive shaft, both axles, abs system repair, main seals, engine rebuild. Currently drivers side heated seat doesn't work, rear wiper broken, two doors locks not working. Too bad the body still looks new, should have sold years ago. Don't but one.

Off road capabilities, great in snow and ice. To bad it is always in the shop.

Everything under the body. Being able to switch to two wheel drive to help poor gas mileage.

Just bought disc
By Jimmy

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I have always wanted own a land rover and when I finally purchased one I was pleasant surprised. I love the comfort,space and interior. I have read good and bad reviews on them. I say if you donít have the money to maintain them do not purchased one. Still loving it!

Ride , stereo, interior.