1999 Land Rover Discovery SD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Rugged and Reliable
By hughjazz on 01/20/15 13:17 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my Disco for almost 7 years now, and have had less repairs done than any vehicle I have ever owned. The only thing I had to do was replace the rear air suspension with springs, as the bags did not last in our sub-arctic conditions. I have 200 miles of Northern Canadian gravel road to travel to the nearest paved road. I use it for camping and exploration in extremely remote areas. It has never left me stranded. Just look at what people drive in Africa and the Outback! They are easy to work on and parts are no more expensive than any other import. Its a shame Land Rover chose to target their marketing at city drivers, as it is NOT the vehicle for them.

FIRST AND LAST LAND ROVER.
By mrimune on 12/07/11 20:00 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

SAVE YOUR MONEY. This piece of british crap will cost you your life savings to keep on the road IT IS A GAS GUZZLING MONEY PIT WITH A CRAP ENGINE.

Wouldn't give this car to my worst enemy
By meetmeinmtauk on 09/12/11 12:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle is all around unreliable. The Discovery I had broke down once a year, and I didn't even drive it that much. My vehicle had 71,000 miles on it. Usually you expect those kind of problems in a car that has more than 120,000 miles. The transmission went out twice, the water pump had a leak. The car would over heat even though I always watched the coolant. The worst thing is that there's only one place around me that fixes land rovers! Any other place that I've tried talking to about it say they don't want to touch the thing. The car is way too expensive and difficult to fix. I'm so glad I traded this car in. Don't buy anything from Land Rover.

Money pit series two
By Mr. Unhappy on 08/03/10 10:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Bought new, worst vehicle I have owned as far as repairs. $20,000 in repairs in ten years. Radiators, hoses, front drive shaft, both axles, abs system repair, main seals, engine rebuild. Currently drivers side heated seat doesn't work, rear wiper broken, two doors locks not working. Too bad the body still looks new, should have sold years ago. Don't but one.

Just bought disc
By Jimmy on 07/25/10 14:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I have always wanted own a land rover and when I finally purchased one I was pleasant surprised. I love the comfort,space and interior. I have read good and bad reviews on them. I say if you donít have the money to maintain them do not purchased one. Still loving it!

For real 4WD enthusiasts only
By CT Disco II on 02/10/10 07:29 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I am the third owner of a 1999 Discovery II. I knew exactly what to look for and what parts to replace, which I did. No issues from that day forward. If you are not willing to invest from the beginning in genuine LR parts, don't bother because cheap doesn't work. Take care of the vehicle and it will reward you with unlimited capability. To those who complain about reliability, perhaps you should have been proactive and not reactive. Avoid the ACE system at all costs, & get Waxoyl treatment.

Disappointing!
By pete on 12/27/09 23:35 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Land Rover used and I have had a repair at least every two weeks. The water pump,mass air flow sensor, power steering pump, brakes (ok they were due for a change) all gaskets and the list goes on... I am disappointed that there is no CD player and the cup holders are small and are easily broken. The AC does not have a lot of power and does not cool the vehicle in high heat. I like the exterior very much but the vehicle can not be trusted.

My Land Rover Experience
By leparkes on 12/16/09 10:33 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I was so excited when I got this car back in 2006. I wish I had done more research on it as it turned out to be a money pit. I'm sure I spent more fixing it than what I paid for it. Each time a part got replaced, something else broke. The sunroof quit working, window regulators had to be replaced, the roof leaked terribly, new brakes were put on, the front differential and fuel pump had to be replaced all within about 2 years of each other. I got the car with 70k miles on it and sold it with about 90k, so the mileage wasn't high enough upon purchase to warrant all these repairs. I will never own another Land Rover again.

One great suv!!!!!
By Cody on 12/14/09 22:11 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have always like off road vehicles.At first it was the Fj cruiser then the Hummer H1&H2 but when I Findlay got to ride in a Hummer I did not like it was to cramped for such a huge vehicle.So I started looking in to other brands I wanted a good reliable 4x4 for my first car.Then I went to an auto show were I got the chance to compare the brands.I was very impressed with the Land Rover brand and immediately scheduled a test drive.I had a lot of people tell me a Land Rover would not make a good car but I did not listen.I do some 4x4 in the weekends and go some seriously deep snow this car is unstoppable off road and a pleasure to drive!

Make sure you read before buy!
By Rover Paul on 09/18/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Amazing truck to own and drive. I love mine. They are fix trucks tho. Every month something will go! If you baby her she will baby you. If you beat on it, it will beat of you! Make sure you know a good shop NOT A DEALER! Stick with a Discovery 2 2000 or above. I have a 1999 and computers are a problem. Over all they are a good truck and will get you out of trouble when the roads are at there end. I WOULD TAKE A LAND ROVER OVER A HUMMER H1 ANYDAY! Just be careful with the buy make sure it has been maintained and had a good owner and you will be fine.