1998 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
sold to someone else...thank goodness!
By SatMan on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Electrical System - 3 times to repair Cruise Control - 5 times to repair Shift Plastic- replaced 3 times Flimsy cupholders - replaced twice Rear hatch - Leaks Door locks - won't open w/ key fixed 2times still not working Replace Rocker Arms - after only 42K Too many other nagging problems to list. I am emabarrased to tell how much money I lost on this ride. I should have known better.

PLEASE DONT BUY THIS CAR
By DONT BUY IT on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought a 98 LSE with 37K only had it for 2 months, and we have been lied to at dealership about fake problems did spend 2500.00 so far on an intake manifold, busted water pump, constant check engine light on due to a broken oxygen sensor. Tons of Leaks that they fill with CORK!(a 1960's fix), driving nut was out (makes the car incredibly dangerous to drive) and Land Rover dealership didnt tell us after we paid $750 for the 30k tune up. Trying to sell it and ealers will not take it because they fall apart. Have lost 5 grand for a peice of junk car, but gosh it sure is pretty. Please dont make the same mistake.

Sold! It's someone else's headache now!
By littlebunny101 on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Where do I begin? From day one I have had problems with the Rover. Today 12/27/02 I just received my Loaded 2003 Sequoia LTD for $45K!. Rover was horrible! The plastic film over the gear selector, the cup holders, not to mention numerous electrical problems, non functioning brake lights and turn signals, you name it, no rear lights. Many nagging problems you would not expect from a "lux" SUV. Had cruise control fixed 5 times! Why should I be replacing the gear selector plastic every other month for 250.00 a pop? Cup holders 180.00! Worthless!

Land Rover Discovery LSE 1998
By roughtoughcreampuff on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

This automobile has lots of character. Definate English design and feel. Had some mechanical problems, however, the dealership was very accommodating in correcting problems and providing alternative transportation when necessary.

Do not waste your money!!!!!
By ajjj on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

We bought this so called luxury SUV because of it was supposed to be a safe , reliable , sport utility with a few extra luxuries. Since it hit 60,000 miles it has been problem after problem. Our problems have been numerous cruise control faiure, non functioning speedometer, head gasket demise, abs electrical light flickering on and off. Keep in mind every time you take this heap of junk in it costs you niney dollars just to have someone tell you what is wrong. The repairs are EXPENSIVE and no one can fix Land Rovers in the NC area but the dealer.

problem vehicle
By bob9992 on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

problems with oil leaks. problems with exaust manifolds cracking. problems continue to arise all the time. Squeeking breaks. last discovery I plan to own!

Lots of little things
By Former rover lover on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I loved my Rover until it hit around 65000 miles. Things seem to go wrong on a monthly basis now. Both rear windows went out...the sunroof failed, fuel injection went bad, starter went our, speakers busted, oxygen sencers failed. It seems like a never ending saga. If you want a Rover bad enough I say lease.

Louise the Land Rover
By Lar Dog on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

If I were to build an on/off road auto this Discovery is very close to perfection. A little tight in the way back for shopping, but us "all consuming Americans", buy way too much crap any way. Ha ! It pulls its weight well up dirt track hills, nicely appointed inside, easy to work on in the field, and really hard to roll over. But you can lift a front wheel every now and again. This LSE makes my old 4 Runner, Tahoe,& various Jeep products that I have owned seem like second class citizens.