Used 1998 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

1998 Land Rover Discovery

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Best Car of my Life
By Disco

1998 Land Rover Discovery 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I like to think of Land Rover as the SUV Branch of Jaguar. Both have the best styling on the road, and both are the best at what they are DESIGNED to do. Yes, the Disco is not the most quiet on-road vehicle, but has anyone driven in a Ford Explorer lately? Maybe it is just my experience in about 10,000 different Explorers, but I could not hear my personal CD player over the wind noice of the Explorer at 40 mph. I can only hope Ford will not cheapen the Disco. As for off-roading, there only two cars that can compete. The LR Defender, and the Mercedes G500. They also cost double the amount and are really ugly.

Favorite Features

Dual Sunroofs, impecable visability, great sound system, pumps heat like no other, and gives the comfort of the high-end benz's.

Suggested Improvements

Longer wheelbase (or better used base inside the existing wheel base) and more horse power.

Time to move on
By Giddyup

1998 Land Rover Discovery 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Was initially attracted to the LR because of the styling...which is still IMHO awesome. Went for the Silver Anniversary model because of the add. features. Everything was grand until I hit 60K miles(just about the time the warranty was running out, go figure). In the last 3 months have replaced among other things a door lock actuater, transmission linkage, and a blown head gasket. I can deal with the small quirks(cup holders, brakes, road noise,etc.)but the reliability disappoints me. Sorry, LR...gotta move on.

Favorite Features

This truck just looks cool. Dealer has been awesome to deal with, I just wish I didnt have to see them as often. Off road, this truck goes anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability....period. I know of no other vehicle that loses value as quickly as a Disco. If you buy...you better buy for life.

Got everything I expected
By MIKE BLESS

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Had 23K miles when I bought it 3 years ago, now has 90K miles, despite all this driving, have had no major problems other than the electrical failures these seem prone to at around 60K. Awesome in the snow, sturdy design, was rear ended by a dodge ram going 35-40 mph and the frame wasn't even bent on the rover, their car was totalled. I suppose that I got lucky with my purchase compared to these other people or they expect too much, remeber this is a TRUCK and and IMPORT. Overall, has been a reliable vehicle that has allowed me to get outside in harsh winters that we have had in Buffalo the past 3 years

Favorite Features

Commanding view of the road, awesome in the snow, sturdy constuction, comfortable interior. for vanities sake, unique interior and exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Some interior parts are cheap and fall apart, dismal fuel economy, electrical system develops a mind of its own at about 60K miles

Cult-status Car, but not for the wary
By jraescar

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, we LOVE the design and PERSONALITY of this vehicle -- and the cult drivers we've met. Unfortunately, I wish I felt safer in the rain and going around turns -- the performance here is dismal. Acceleration on the highway is embarassing... and of course, it absolutely needs to have better fuel economy. Definitely buy Series II instead of I... if you go used, which I did.

Favorite Features

Views are incredible because of dual moon roof and huge windows. Very versatile seating and fun add-ons available from the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I felt safer in the rain and going around turns -- the performance here is dismal. Acceleration on the highway is embarassing... and of course, it absolutely needs to have better fuel economy.

Best SUV I Have Ever Owned
By Arnold

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

We love the way it drives particularly in wet weather. Our LSE is a British Racing Green which I wish Land Rover would bring back. We have had only a few minor repairs like all cars. I feel I can go any where in any conditions with confidence.

Favorite Features

AWD and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Roll down rear window.