1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
We love our Land Rover
By Louis on 08/02/09 18:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

We have about 120,000 miles on this car now and it is our favorite drive of the three in the garage (the others are a Jaguar and a Porsche, great cars on their own). Roadholding is exceptional in any weather and terrain (British cars have the best suspensions). Build quality is not perfect and so is reliability, but the design is great, both exterior and interior. Acceleration is slow (very heavy car) but adequate. Fuel economy is antiquated. Great to drive at speed on the highway, to our surprise. Dealer service is exceptional. When maintained well (not cheap), the car should last a long time. As I said, we love it with all its faults. This is an enthusiast's car, not an appliance.

Off road, on road, It doesn't matter
By Landrovman on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Ive taken my Land Rover off road and I use it as my everyday car. Its a beast, you just dont get cars built like this anymore. The only one that comes close is the Range Rover, and its made by the same company. This SUV was one of the greatest financial and fun things I've ever baught.

Land Rover Excellence!
By maluco on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I have driven this vehicle in the snow, the mountains and the highway. The Land Rover Discovery is an exceptional SUV both on and off road. It handles well, both in poor weather and on sunny highways. However, I do think that Land Rover needs to tighten a few nuts, as the Discovery experiences leaks every so often.

Best Car of my Life
By Disco on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I like to think of Land Rover as the SUV Branch of Jaguar. Both have the best styling on the road, and both are the best at what they are DESIGNED to do. Yes, the Disco is not the most quiet on-road vehicle, but has anyone driven in a Ford Explorer lately? Maybe it is just my experience in about 10,000 different Explorers, but I could not hear my personal CD player over the wind noice of the Explorer at 40 mph. I can only hope Ford will not cheapen the Disco. As for off-roading, there only two cars that can compete. The LR Defender, and the Mercedes G500. They also cost double the amount and are really ugly.

Time to move on
By Giddyup on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Was initially attracted to the LR because of the styling...which is still IMHO awesome. Went for the Silver Anniversary model because of the add. features. Everything was grand until I hit 60K miles(just about the time the warranty was running out, go figure). In the last 3 months have replaced among other things a door lock actuater, transmission linkage, and a blown head gasket. I can deal with the small quirks(cup holders, brakes, road noise,etc.)but the reliability disappoints me. Sorry, LR...gotta move on.

Best SUV Around
By Loser530 on 06/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever driven. True it is slow, but there is no equal off road. This was my first car which I bought with 80,000 miles on it. Since then I have put 10,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems. This thing will go anywhere in style. I have the best car in school. A real head turner.

BEST 4X4 EVER
By CCF2 on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I've loved my Discovery from the first day of purchase. It was just under two (2) years old when I bought it and there have been typical problems anyone would have with ANY vehicle but it's ALWAYS been a GREAT vehicle. When it's dry, ice, snow or wet, it always seems to enjoy everything I have put it through. I have taken it out with friends who own Jeep's and they've scratched their heads at the things my stock vehicle did over their modified Jeeps. I will NEVER be without another Land Rover. Every auto-maker has problems with their cars from time to time and LR is no different but if you want the very best, then there is NO OTHER!

Buyer Beware!
By Hunka Junka Owner on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I feel like a fool! We should have known when it took 15 days for the dealer to deliver. We went back 3 times for bubbling paint. During the first 90 days, it was in the shop for 67 days. The transmission clunked, the check engine light was continuosly on, the cruise control broke twice, the muffler system was replaced front to back ($5000 in parts), 3/4 oxygen sensors went right after one another - I guess, in summary, the vehicle was a lemon. We regret our purchase and warn everyone that we know to warn everyone that they know. This should be your second (or third) vehicle since it will spend more time in the garage than on the road!