Used 1998 Land Rover Discovery 50th Anniversary SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

We love our Land Rover
By Louis

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

We have about 120,000 miles on this car now and it is our favorite drive of the three in the garage (the others are a Jaguar and a Porsche, great cars on their own). Roadholding is exceptional in any weather and terrain (British cars have the best suspensions). Build quality is not perfect and so is reliability, but the design is great, both exterior and interior. Acceleration is slow (very heavy car) but adequate. Fuel economy is antiquated. Great to drive at speed on the highway, to our surprise. Dealer service is exceptional. When maintained well (not cheap), the car should last a long time. As I said, we love it with all its faults. This is an enthusiast's car, not an appliance.

Design, handling, roadholding competence, class, presence on the road, feeling of safety. Amazing in snow.

Fuel economy, reliability, maintenance intensity. There are many reliable but boring automobiles out there which is a different class of vehicles.

Off road, on road, It doesn't matter
By Landrovman

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Ive taken my Land Rover off road and I use it as my everyday car. Its a beast, you just dont get cars built like this anymore. The only one that comes close is the Range Rover, and its made by the same company. This SUV was one of the greatest financial and fun things I've ever baught.

The suspension is amazing. I have jumped this car a few fimes and I still have the stock suspension and I use it every day to get to work.

Gas milage can be better, but my 17 year-old son doesn't mind filling it up 2 times a week.

Land Rover Excellence!
By maluco

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I have driven this vehicle in the snow, the mountains and the highway. The Land Rover Discovery is an exceptional SUV both on and off road. It handles well, both in poor weather and on sunny highways. However, I do think that Land Rover needs to tighten a few nuts, as the Discovery experiences leaks every so often.

The seating comfort is the best I have ever experienced. I have driven many automobiles, including several BMW's and feel that Land Rovers is superior.

Tighten the nuts and bolts, as I dread the thought of a leak on my driveway. Change the dash layout, to a more modern level.

Best Car of my Life
By Disco

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I like to think of Land Rover as the SUV Branch of Jaguar. Both have the best styling on the road, and both are the best at what they are DESIGNED to do. Yes, the Disco is not the most quiet on-road vehicle, but has anyone driven in a Ford Explorer lately? Maybe it is just my experience in about 10,000 different Explorers, but I could not hear my personal CD player over the wind noice of the Explorer at 40 mph. I can only hope Ford will not cheapen the Disco. As for off-roading, there only two cars that can compete. The LR Defender, and the Mercedes G500. They also cost double the amount and are really ugly.

Dual Sunroofs, impecable visability, great sound system, pumps heat like no other, and gives the comfort of the high-end benz's.

Longer wheelbase (or better used base inside the existing wheel base) and more horse power.

Time to move on
By Giddyup

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Was initially attracted to the LR because of the styling...which is still IMHO awesome. Went for the Silver Anniversary model because of the add. features. Everything was grand until I hit 60K miles(just about the time the warranty was running out, go figure). In the last 3 months have replaced among other things a door lock actuater, transmission linkage, and a blown head gasket. I can deal with the small quirks(cup holders, brakes, road noise,etc.)but the reliability disappoints me. Sorry, LR...gotta move on.

This truck just looks cool. Dealer has been awesome to deal with, I just wish I didnt have to see them as often. Off road, this truck goes anywhere.

Reliability....period. I know of no other vehicle that loses value as quickly as a Disco. If you buy...you better buy for life.