1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

1998 Discovery Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Sort Reviews by

1998 Disco
By Kirk

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased certified from dealer with 32k miles. Have had no problems. Does not leak anything. I change the oil every 3500 miles. Use the Disco to tow 3800# boat 5 miles to water. Never off road. Take the Disco to our Mt. cabin in deep snow, have never been stuck. The paint is flawless and looks new. The drivers leather seat is a little worn. It has 62k miles on it now> I had the trans , brake, power sterring fluids changed a few years ago. I will have the diff, and swivel greese changed soon. I would trust it anywhere.Yes it does use gas! Feel very safe on CA freeways. I am tempted to ram the slow driver in front of us!

Favorite Features

Seats, high seating view from front. Radio, weather band. Paint. Sterring

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, resale

moving on ...
By giddyup2

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Totally LOVE the styling and ruggedness of the land rover. That's the reason I purchased mine 3 years ago. I have not had any major issues with it; however, the check engine light seems to come on every other month or so. This being said, it has become quite an aggravation taking it to Land Rover all the time. Also, these things depreciate more than any vehicle I have EVER owned. Buy for life if you want one; otherwise, plan to LOOSE money!

Favorite Features

Styling and ruggedness. Like the dual sunroofs and great visibility with all the windows. It's quite fun to drive and the soundsystem (LSE) sounds fabulous ...

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and fuel effeciency

Cult-status Car, but not for the wary
By jraescar

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, we LOVE the design and PERSONALITY of this vehicle -- and the cult drivers we've met. Unfortunately, I wish I felt safer in the rain and going around turns -- the performance here is dismal. Acceleration on the highway is embarassing... and of course, it absolutely needs to have better fuel economy. Definitely buy Series II instead of I... if you go used, which I did.

Favorite Features

Views are incredible because of dual moon roof and huge windows. Very versatile seating and fun add-ons available from the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I felt safer in the rain and going around turns -- the performance here is dismal. Acceleration on the highway is embarassing... and of course, it absolutely needs to have better fuel economy.

Best SUV I Have Ever Owned
By Arnold

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

We love the way it drives particularly in wet weather. Our LSE is a British Racing Green which I wish Land Rover would bring back. We have had only a few minor repairs like all cars. I feel I can go any where in any conditions with confidence.

Favorite Features

AWD and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Roll down rear window.

PLEASE DONT BUY THIS CAR
By DONT BUY IT

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought a 98 LSE with 37K only had it for 2 months, and we have been lied to at dealership about fake problems did spend 2500.00 so far on an intake manifold, busted water pump, constant check engine light on due to a broken oxygen sensor. Tons of Leaks that they fill with CORK!(a 1960's fix), driving nut was out (makes the car incredibly dangerous to drive) and Land Rover dealership didnt tell us after we paid $750 for the 30k tune up. Trying to sell it and ealers will not take it because they fall apart. Have lost 5 grand for a peice of junk car, but gosh it sure is pretty. Please dont make the same mistake.

Favorite Features

Stereo

Suggested Improvements

Make it reliable.

Land Rover Discovery LSE 1998
By roughtoughcreampuff

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

This automobile has lots of character. Definate English design and feel. Had some mechanical problems, however, the dealership was very accommodating in correcting problems and providing alternative transportation when necessary.

Favorite Features

Great balance on mountains, rocks and rough terrain.

Suggested Improvements

Rubber gaskets around rear side windows tend to crack when exposed to the sun. Discovery II re-designed.

problem vehicle
By bob9992

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

problems with oil leaks. problems with exaust manifolds cracking. problems continue to arise all the time. Squeeking breaks. last discovery I plan to own!

Favorite Features

seat comfort. Good visability

Suggested Improvements

needs to be more reliable. Needs to be better performing.

Louise the Land Rover
By Lar Dog

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

If I were to build an on/off road auto this Discovery is very close to perfection. A little tight in the way back for shopping, but us "all consuming Americans", buy way too much crap any way. Ha ! It pulls its weight well up dirt track hills, nicely appointed inside, easy to work on in the field, and really hard to roll over. But you can lift a front wheel every now and again. This LSE makes my old 4 Runner, Tahoe,& various Jeep products that I have owned seem like second class citizens.

Favorite Features

Wheel travel, dif/Lock, AWD, seating, total rear cargo area with seats removed & of course the Alpine windows. Bonus : Steel wheel lock kit. It comes with gloves ;-)

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, better moon roof rails, bigger wheel wells (to up size tires), arm rests on doors, adj cup holders, spare some where else ( hard to back up ).