Used 1998 Land Rover Discovery LE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Loved it, but regretted it
By J Prothero

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

I loved this truck's off-road capability, and as an "around town" and commuter vehicle it was fine (except for the 13 mpg and premium gas!). But I spent nearly $2000 a year in repairs - not maintenance. Finally, after the water pump failed on me after plopping down $600 for a fuel pump and having to replace the front sunroof rails twice, I sold it to my wife's dad and bought a Toyota. Miss the truck, but not the cost.

Transfer case with LO and HI 4WD and diff lock. 6-CD changer. Lots of window area. Window controls on center armrest. Low torque for climbing. Distinctive styling and alpine window and large, swing out rear door.

Many were done on the Series II (better seats for example). The AC never cooled the truck down much. Laughable cup holders (the Brits must never have coffee or a bottle water when they drive). Better brakes. Better engineered sunroof rails

Discoverys are Great!!!
By Anthony Richie

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

As I researched this SUV I saw a lot of people talking bad about it. I would like to clear things up. First, about the gas mileage. What did you expect? Itís a large off road V8 itís not a Honda. I like to think of my discovery as a tank with leather and sunroofs. I heard a lot of complaints about the windows and sunroofs either not rolling up or leaking. Considering all the things that could go wrong with any car I thought the window thing was a pretty small detail. My rear windows wouldnít roll down, I fitted it with a window relay that cost $35.00. Besides that I have only done basic maintenance.

Locking Differential, two power sunroofs, seat height, off road capability, cool points

optional CD player

Fun, good looks, rugged, expensive.
By Eric

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

Everyone well knows that Land Rovers are expensive to own, maintain and operate. Given that, just be thorough in mechanical inspection of a used Rover. Also be prepared to put another 10-20% into your purchase of a used Land Rover (4yrs. or older). With depreciation a used Land Rover is still a much better deal than new (unless you can afford new) Towing ability is less than impressive but beach driving ability and highway is outstanding. Yes its a full-time four wheel drive so expect some stiffness and road noise. (It's not a Cadillac) But it is a Cadillac of mid-size/mid-price SUV's. If you appreciate the luxury and appeal of European vehicles like BMW or Mercedes you will like it.

I love the high seating, leather appointments, lots of natural daylight, Great stock sound system, easy to use 4wd, comfortable ride on and offroad

Better factory engine seals. If a Land Rover is not leaking -it might be out of fluids (as the saying goes!). I got mine to stop leaking but only with the repair of 3 seals (Transfer case, head gasket and differential) More horsepower!! for towing. Perhaps a slightly longer wheelbase. Windshield angle

Mixed feelings
By wanda

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

I am really sad, I have mixed emotions with my rover. Love the vehicle but can do without the expensive repairs, It seems that after the warranty wore off every thing went wrong and the parts are very expensive. I don't know if the newer models were built better but with my 1998 we have not had to much luck. I love the way it handles and the fact that I feel safe driving my kids around in it. Will truly miss it when we get rid of it.

Love the look of the older 98 model, Its roomy enough.

more comfortable seating in back, And whats with the cd deck under the front pax seat too hard to get to. Less expense to repair.

Does what it's supposed to do
By Matt Williams

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

I have put over 50K miles on this truck. I bought it with 25K on the odometer. I have had no problems other than a few minor things that the dealer fixed. Dealer service has been top notch. 4 dealers over 3 years. Never any questions or comments about not buying from them, the dealer just handed me the keys to another Disco and fixed the problem.

Commanding view. Interior layout is logical if you ane not tied to the way GM builds a car. It will go anywhere.

A new powerplant. The old Buick motor is done.