Used 1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

We love our Land Rover
By Louis

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

We have about 120,000 miles on this car now and it is our favorite drive of the three in the garage (the others are a Jaguar and a Porsche, great cars on their own). Roadholding is exceptional in any weather and terrain (British cars have the best suspensions). Build quality is not perfect and so is reliability, but the design is great, both exterior and interior. Acceleration is slow (very heavy car) but adequate. Fuel economy is antiquated. Great to drive at speed on the highway, to our surprise. Dealer service is exceptional. When maintained well (not cheap), the car should last a long time. As I said, we love it with all its faults. This is an enthusiast's car, not an appliance.

Favorite Features

Design, handling, roadholding competence, class, presence on the road, feeling of safety. Amazing in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, reliability, maintenance intensity. There are many reliable but boring automobiles out there which is a different class of vehicles.

Loved it, but regretted it
By J Prothero

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

I loved this truck's off-road capability, and as an "around town" and commuter vehicle it was fine (except for the 13 mpg and premium gas!). But I spent nearly $2000 a year in repairs - not maintenance. Finally, after the water pump failed on me after plopping down $600 for a fuel pump and having to replace the front sunroof rails twice, I sold it to my wife's dad and bought a Toyota. Miss the truck, but not the cost.

Favorite Features

Transfer case with LO and HI 4WD and diff lock. 6-CD changer. Lots of window area. Window controls on center armrest. Low torque for climbing. Distinctive styling and alpine window and large, swing out rear door.

Suggested Improvements

Many were done on the Series II (better seats for example). The AC never cooled the truck down much. Laughable cup holders (the Brits must never have coffee or a bottle water when they drive). Better brakes. Better engineered sunroof rails

Discoverys are Great!!!
By Anthony Richie

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

As I researched this SUV I saw a lot of people talking bad about it. I would like to clear things up. First, about the gas mileage. What did you expect? Itís a large off road V8 itís not a Honda. I like to think of my discovery as a tank with leather and sunroofs. I heard a lot of complaints about the windows and sunroofs either not rolling up or leaking. Considering all the things that could go wrong with any car I thought the window thing was a pretty small detail. My rear windows wouldnít roll down, I fitted it with a window relay that cost $35.00. Besides that I have only done basic maintenance.

Favorite Features

Locking Differential, two power sunroofs, seat height, off road capability, cool points

Suggested Improvements

optional CD player

Fun, good looks, rugged, expensive.
By Eric

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD

Everyone well knows that Land Rovers are expensive to own, maintain and operate. Given that, just be thorough in mechanical inspection of a used Rover. Also be prepared to put another 10-20% into your purchase of a used Land Rover (4yrs. or older). With depreciation a used Land Rover is still a much better deal than new (unless you can afford new) Towing ability is less than impressive but beach driving ability and highway is outstanding. Yes its a full-time four wheel drive so expect some stiffness and road noise. (It's not a Cadillac) But it is a Cadillac of mid-size/mid-price SUV's. If you appreciate the luxury and appeal of European vehicles like BMW or Mercedes you will like it.

Favorite Features

I love the high seating, leather appointments, lots of natural daylight, Great stock sound system, easy to use 4wd, comfortable ride on and offroad

Suggested Improvements

Better factory engine seals. If a Land Rover is not leaking -it might be out of fluids (as the saying goes!). I got mine to stop leaking but only with the repair of 3 seals (Transfer case, head gasket and differential) More horsepower!! for towing. Perhaps a slightly longer wheelbase. Windshield angle

1998 Disco
By Kirk

1998 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased certified from dealer with 32k miles. Have had no problems. Does not leak anything. I change the oil every 3500 miles. Use the Disco to tow 3800# boat 5 miles to water. Never off road. Take the Disco to our Mt. cabin in deep snow, have never been stuck. The paint is flawless and looks new. The drivers leather seat is a little worn. It has 62k miles on it now> I had the trans , brake, power sterring fluids changed a few years ago. I will have the diff, and swivel greese changed soon. I would trust it anywhere.Yes it does use gas! Feel very safe on CA freeways. I am tempted to ram the slow driver in front of us!

Favorite Features

Seats, high seating view from front. Radio, weather band. Paint. Sterring

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, resale