1998 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
1998 Disco
By Kirk on 07/17/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased certified from dealer with 32k miles. Have had no problems. Does not leak anything. I change the oil every 3500 miles. Use the Disco to tow 3800# boat 5 miles to water. Never off road. Take the Disco to our Mt. cabin in deep snow, have never been stuck. The paint is flawless and looks new. The drivers leather seat is a little worn. It has 62k miles on it now> I had the trans , brake, power sterring fluids changed a few years ago. I will have the diff, and swivel greese changed soon. I would trust it anywhere.Yes it does use gas! Feel very safe on CA freeways. I am tempted to ram the slow driver in front of us!

moving on ...
By giddyup2 on 01/13/05 14:53 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Totally LOVE the styling and ruggedness of the land rover. That's the reason I purchased mine 3 years ago. I have not had any major issues with it; however, the check engine light seems to come on every other month or so. This being said, it has become quite an aggravation taking it to Land Rover all the time. Also, these things depreciate more than any vehicle I have EVER owned. Buy for life if you want one; otherwise, plan to LOOSE money!

Cult-status Car, but not for the wary
By jraescar on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, we LOVE the design and PERSONALITY of this vehicle -- and the cult drivers we've met. Unfortunately, I wish I felt safer in the rain and going around turns -- the performance here is dismal. Acceleration on the highway is embarassing... and of course, it absolutely needs to have better fuel economy. Definitely buy Series II instead of I... if you go used, which I did.

Best SUV I Have Ever Owned
By Arnold on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

We love the way it drives particularly in wet weather. Our LSE is a British Racing Green which I wish Land Rover would bring back. We have had only a few minor repairs like all cars. I feel I can go any where in any conditions with confidence.

PLEASE DONT BUY THIS CAR
By DONT BUY IT on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought a 98 LSE with 37K only had it for 2 months, and we have been lied to at dealership about fake problems did spend 2500.00 so far on an intake manifold, busted water pump, constant check engine light on due to a broken oxygen sensor. Tons of Leaks that they fill with CORK!(a 1960's fix), driving nut was out (makes the car incredibly dangerous to drive) and Land Rover dealership didnt tell us after we paid $750 for the 30k tune up. Trying to sell it and ealers will not take it because they fall apart. Have lost 5 grand for a peice of junk car, but gosh it sure is pretty. Please dont make the same mistake.

Land Rover Discovery LSE 1998
By roughtoughcreampuff on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

This automobile has lots of character. Definate English design and feel. Had some mechanical problems, however, the dealership was very accommodating in correcting problems and providing alternative transportation when necessary.

problem vehicle
By bob9992 on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

problems with oil leaks. problems with exaust manifolds cracking. problems continue to arise all the time. Squeeking breaks. last discovery I plan to own!

Louise the Land Rover
By Lar Dog on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

If I were to build an on/off road auto this Discovery is very close to perfection. A little tight in the way back for shopping, but us "all consuming Americans", buy way too much crap any way. Ha ! It pulls its weight well up dirt track hills, nicely appointed inside, easy to work on in the field, and really hard to roll over. But you can lift a front wheel every now and again. This LSE makes my old 4 Runner, Tahoe,& various Jeep products that I have owned seem like second class citizens.