1998 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Loved it, but regretted it
By J Prothero on 06/17/07 08:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I loved this truck's off-road capability, and as an "around town" and commuter vehicle it was fine (except for the 13 mpg and premium gas!). But I spent nearly $2000 a year in repairs - not maintenance. Finally, after the water pump failed on me after plopping down $600 for a fuel pump and having to replace the front sunroof rails twice, I sold it to my wife's dad and bought a Toyota. Miss the truck, but not the cost.

Discoverys are Great!!!
By Anthony Richie on 03/08/07 17:52 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

As I researched this SUV I saw a lot of people talking bad about it. I would like to clear things up. First, about the gas mileage. What did you expect? It’s a large off road V8 it’s not a Honda. I like to think of my discovery as a tank with leather and sunroofs. I heard a lot of complaints about the windows and sunroofs either not rolling up or leaking. Considering all the things that could go wrong with any car I thought the window thing was a pretty small detail. My rear windows wouldn’t roll down, I fitted it with a window relay that cost $35.00. Besides that I have only done basic maintenance.

Fun, good looks, rugged, expensive.
By Eric on 11/27/06 13:58 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Everyone well knows that Land Rovers are expensive to own, maintain and operate. Given that, just be thorough in mechanical inspection of a used Rover. Also be prepared to put another 10-20% into your purchase of a used Land Rover (4yrs. or older). With depreciation a used Land Rover is still a much better deal than new (unless you can afford new) Towing ability is less than impressive but beach driving ability and highway is outstanding. Yes its a full-time four wheel drive so expect some stiffness and road noise. (It's not a Cadillac) But it is a Cadillac of mid-size/mid-price SUV's. If you appreciate the luxury and appeal of European vehicles like BMW or Mercedes you will like it.

Mixed feelings
By wanda on 01/16/06 20:46 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I am really sad, I have mixed emotions with my rover. Love the vehicle but can do without the expensive repairs, It seems that after the warranty wore off every thing went wrong and the parts are very expensive. I don't know if the newer models were built better but with my 1998 we have not had to much luck. I love the way it handles and the fact that I feel safe driving my kids around in it. Will truly miss it when we get rid of it.

Does what it's supposed to do
By Matt Williams on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I have put over 50K miles on this truck. I bought it with 25K on the odometer. I have had no problems other than a few minor things that the dealer fixed. Dealer service has been top notch. 4 dealers over 3 years. Never any questions or comments about not buying from them, the dealer just handed me the keys to another Disco and fixed the problem.

Got everything I expected
By MIKE BLESS on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Had 23K miles when I bought it 3 years ago, now has 90K miles, despite all this driving, have had no major problems other than the electrical failures these seem prone to at around 60K. Awesome in the snow, sturdy design, was rear ended by a dodge ram going 35-40 mph and the frame wasn't even bent on the rover, their car was totalled. I suppose that I got lucky with my purchase compared to these other people or they expect too much, remeber this is a TRUCK and and IMPORT. Overall, has been a reliable vehicle that has allowed me to get outside in harsh winters that we have had in Buffalo the past 3 years

This SUV is the ultimate
By calwesty on 03/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I have only had this vehicle for a short time, but I find the ride and quality to be exceptional. The Gas mileage is fair about 16 mpg for a V8. The Disco is slightly underpowered, but has plenty of torque to handle pulling a substantial load. I give it an 8.5.

Craptacular!
By furb on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Here is a vehicle that is supposed to be top of the class in reliability and resale value but it's a dog! Trade in values typically run $3-5K UNDER wholesale! Maintenance is TERRIBLY expensive. The 60K service of changing all the oils, plugs and tightening of parking brake runs $1100!! There really is no maintenance being done that Jiffy Lube couldn't do for under $200. City driving yields 10MPG and highway was all the way up to 13! Find one you like and RUN AWAY!

sold to someone else...thank goodness!
By SatMan on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Electrical System - 3 times to repair Cruise Control - 5 times to repair Shift Plastic- replaced 3 times Flimsy cupholders - replaced twice Rear hatch - Leaks Door locks - won't open w/ key fixed 2times still not working Replace Rocker Arms - after only 42K Too many other nagging problems to list. I am emabarrased to tell how much money I lost on this ride. I should have known better.

Sold! It's someone else's headache now!
By littlebunny101 on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Where do I begin? From day one I have had problems with the Rover. Today 12/27/02 I just received my Loaded 2003 Sequoia LTD for $45K!. Rover was horrible! The plastic film over the gear selector, the cup holders, not to mention numerous electrical problems, non functioning brake lights and turn signals, you name it, no rear lights. Many nagging problems you would not expect from a "lux" SUV. Had cruise control fixed 5 times! Why should I be replacing the gear selector plastic every other month for 250.00 a pop? Cup holders 180.00! Worthless!