1998 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
We love our Land Rover
By Louis on 08/02/09 18:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

We have about 120,000 miles on this car now and it is our favorite drive of the three in the garage (the others are a Jaguar and a Porsche, great cars on their own). Roadholding is exceptional in any weather and terrain (British cars have the best suspensions). Build quality is not perfect and so is reliability, but the design is great, both exterior and interior. Acceleration is slow (very heavy car) but adequate. Fuel economy is antiquated. Great to drive at speed on the highway, to our surprise. Dealer service is exceptional. When maintained well (not cheap), the car should last a long time. As I said, we love it with all its faults. This is an enthusiast's car, not an appliance.

Loved it, but regretted it
By J Prothero on 06/17/07 08:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I loved this truck's off-road capability, and as an "around town" and commuter vehicle it was fine (except for the 13 mpg and premium gas!). But I spent nearly $2000 a year in repairs - not maintenance. Finally, after the water pump failed on me after plopping down $600 for a fuel pump and having to replace the front sunroof rails twice, I sold it to my wife's dad and bought a Toyota. Miss the truck, but not the cost.

Discoverys are Great!!!
By Anthony Richie on 03/08/07 17:52 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

As I researched this SUV I saw a lot of people talking bad about it. I would like to clear things up. First, about the gas mileage. What did you expect? Itís a large off road V8 itís not a Honda. I like to think of my discovery as a tank with leather and sunroofs. I heard a lot of complaints about the windows and sunroofs either not rolling up or leaking. Considering all the things that could go wrong with any car I thought the window thing was a pretty small detail. My rear windows wouldnít roll down, I fitted it with a window relay that cost $35.00. Besides that I have only done basic maintenance.

Fun, good looks, rugged, expensive.
By Eric on 11/27/06 13:58 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

Everyone well knows that Land Rovers are expensive to own, maintain and operate. Given that, just be thorough in mechanical inspection of a used Rover. Also be prepared to put another 10-20% into your purchase of a used Land Rover (4yrs. or older). With depreciation a used Land Rover is still a much better deal than new (unless you can afford new) Towing ability is less than impressive but beach driving ability and highway is outstanding. Yes its a full-time four wheel drive so expect some stiffness and road noise. (It's not a Cadillac) But it is a Cadillac of mid-size/mid-price SUV's. If you appreciate the luxury and appeal of European vehicles like BMW or Mercedes you will like it.

1998 Disco
By Kirk on 07/17/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased certified from dealer with 32k miles. Have had no problems. Does not leak anything. I change the oil every 3500 miles. Use the Disco to tow 3800# boat 5 miles to water. Never off road. Take the Disco to our Mt. cabin in deep snow, have never been stuck. The paint is flawless and looks new. The drivers leather seat is a little worn. It has 62k miles on it now> I had the trans , brake, power sterring fluids changed a few years ago. I will have the diff, and swivel greese changed soon. I would trust it anywhere.Yes it does use gas! Feel very safe on CA freeways. I am tempted to ram the slow driver in front of us!

Mixed feelings
By wanda on 01/16/06 20:46 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I am really sad, I have mixed emotions with my rover. Love the vehicle but can do without the expensive repairs, It seems that after the warranty wore off every thing went wrong and the parts are very expensive. I don't know if the newer models were built better but with my 1998 we have not had to much luck. I love the way it handles and the fact that I feel safe driving my kids around in it. Will truly miss it when we get rid of it.

moving on ...
By giddyup2 on 01/13/05 14:53 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Totally LOVE the styling and ruggedness of the land rover. That's the reason I purchased mine 3 years ago. I have not had any major issues with it; however, the check engine light seems to come on every other month or so. This being said, it has become quite an aggravation taking it to Land Rover all the time. Also, these things depreciate more than any vehicle I have EVER owned. Buy for life if you want one; otherwise, plan to LOOSE money!

Off road, on road, It doesn't matter
By Landrovman on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Discovery 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Ive taken my Land Rover off road and I use it as my everyday car. Its a beast, you just dont get cars built like this anymore. The only one that comes close is the Range Rover, and its made by the same company. This SUV was one of the greatest financial and fun things I've ever baught.

Does what it's supposed to do
By Matt Williams on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 4dr SUV AWD

I have put over 50K miles on this truck. I bought it with 25K on the odometer. I have had no problems other than a few minor things that the dealer fixed. Dealer service has been top notch. 4 dealers over 3 years. Never any questions or comments about not buying from them, the dealer just handed me the keys to another Disco and fixed the problem.

Land Rover Excellence!
By maluco on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Discovery 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I have driven this vehicle in the snow, the mountains and the highway. The Land Rover Discovery is an exceptional SUV both on and off road. It handles well, both in poor weather and on sunny highways. However, I do think that Land Rover needs to tighten a few nuts, as the Discovery experiences leaks every so often.