1997 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Review: One Amazing Tank

1997 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Review

One Amazing Tank
By Micheal Smith on

1997 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

I am the happy second owner of a '97 Disco. All I can say about this vehicle is that it is a tank. Goes where you point it without complaint. It chews up trails, scales steep hillsides/mountainsides with ease, and carves a path in deep snow. Gas mileage is average for an SUV of this size, so if gas is a concern,look elsewhere. And on-road manners are something to be desired. In addition this is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Got it with 75K and it now has over 240K on it and it's still chugging along. Granted there were repairs now and again, but in true Rover style, whatever broke or failed this truck always got me to my destination.

Engine torque. Off-road prowess. Towing ability. Interior storage. Unique look and panache. Dependability

Gas mileage. Better electricals (but it is a Land Rover). Better hosing/tubing. Oil leakage (if maintained properly I've found this to be a minor issue)