1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
a real 4x4 not a SUV
By It's a real 4x4 on 09/13/09 22:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

I have a 1997 land rover Discovery SD the entry level model. It doesn't have a sunroof which is okay with me. The truck has a rugged frame and strong body. The discovery is built to withstand alot of abuse despite it's shiny exterior. The truck has been reliable what many fail to understand is that the truck is a rugged piece of machinery that require maintenance. but unlike many other vehicles the Discovery is a straightforward truck to own with a few tool set and time. I have a five inch lift with 34" tires on mines and it puts hummers and jeeps to shame.

Great DISCO
By David on 04/13/07 11:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased the disco back in 99 for my wife. It had 40k on it. This disco is an SD7 rare. Black non-leather. No major issues only the power door track for driver and passenger door keep braking. Land Rover's design for the track is plastic rollers that break. The rear windows don’t work. I believe switch issue. That’s it I have 193K on this bad boy. Starts every time. The disco leaked oil at 50k. If you can get past oil leaks you will love this SUV. If not don't buy. Still rides great.

High Maintenance Mistress
By winston on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

Awesome truck SUV and not a minivan phoney like the Mercedes M-class. It feels like a real metal gasoline engine vehicle unlike the electric car feel of the Japanese pseudo-minivans. Feels right at home on rugged mountain trails or the opera house lobby entrance. Whether its to drive to the mall or to run a SAS tactical mission, the Land Rover is more than capable.

Land Rover Rocks!
By jbentley on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car. I have had several sport-utes in the past including Grand Cherokee, Blazer, Explorer, and Pathfinder. The fit and finish of the discovery is so much better. It is so much more refined and is unbelievable off-road. It also attracts much more attention. It is for the discerning buyer only!

The Lemon Rover Attacks
By Lemon Rover Man on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

The two year old vehicle seduced with it's rugged, masculine looks, it's promise of adventure in forbidding terrain, and elegant interior appointments that swaddels you in English country ambience. This perception faded quickly. I discovered she is a gold digging harlot, just out to drain my money reserves on repair, after repair. Through the years, a litany of complaints arose from her innermost mechanicals needing the corrective hands of the Land Rover mechanic to quiet her. $4K valve job, $1.5K oil seal, $600 brake cylinder, $600 fuel pump, among other woes. Will the pain never cease?????

Solid Truck for the Money
By Disco Fever on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

Very fun to drive vehicle with loads of potential! Versatility can describe what this vehicle, as it provides so many different uses. A bit underpowered, but Land Rover lives by Torque and not Horse Power. I personally like the look which alot of people don't, which is why I like it more.

GOOD RIG
By SELLER on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

Owned for 4 years, overall a sassy and reliable vehicle. When something needed repair dealship was great to work with and we never had it in for the same fix twice. Do not own a Rover for even a day without a bumper to bumper warranty. If they open the hood it is $1,200!

The repairs
By Mr. Patent on 03/03/02 22:53 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

Our Disco was great offroad, and not bad in the city. But the repairs. We babied our rig and at only 45K we had a main seal fail ($1600) and at 47K a gear box seal problem ($1400). We thought an extended warranty would protect us--it didn't, as even they won't pay for the full amount of these high priced repairs.