1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Fantastic all round vehicle
By Macca on 05/03/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I bought mine with 100,000 kilometers on it and intended to use it as a tow vehicle for my Caravan. After the first trip, I was disappointed with the lack of power from the 3.9 V8. I took the vehicle to a performance workshop and had a "Unichip" fitted. The transformation was amazing. This Disco now flys and returns a very respectable fuel mileage.

Love it but hate it
By 97 SE7 on 10/07/05 12:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my black '97 Discovery SE7 back in March with 72,000 miles on it and i LOVE it. No other vehicle looks or drives like it, and the two sunroofs are amazing. Reliability so far has been surprisingly good despite the poor reliability reviews, with no major repairs. My car now has over 84k on it and all i have had to replace was a window motor, not surprising since it IS a Land Rover, and a gasket. I guess a Land Rover is like a good wine, it improves with age? Or maybe just because everything has been repaired in it.

A let down!!
By Eng on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This has to be the worst vehicle on the road. Yes... it's pretty however it is only skin deep. It is the most unreliable...poorly made...under powered...over priced vehicle I have ever owned. The interior falls apart... it rattles. wind noise is poor. Both sun roofs leak. switches go bad. poor fuel economy... poor tow ability. The interior door pockets fall off. If you see one on the lot....run away from it! You can't afford to fix it. The dealer monopolizes the paets... you can't buy parts elsewhere! Look at a domestic SUV!

Don't Do It
By Keith McGuigan on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

Awful. If you plan to ply rock-strewn river beds, then buy one. Seeing as how most SUV's are driven on freeways and secondary roads you couldn't buy a worse vehicle for daily driving. Horrible interior design, poor night backlighting, a dangerous lack of power, cheap plastic switches, poor workmanship, expensive to fill and maintain. Gets only 240 miles to a tankful. Deafening road and wind noise.

Learned my Lesson
By Stinky on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I've owned from 35K-82K miles and had nothing but trouble. Repeatedly replacing window regulators at $250 a pop (replaced a few twice now). Head gasket leak was repaired while under warranty (40k mi.), just got $1500 quote to repair it again! Paid $600 to replace failing PS pump (aftermarket-- dlr quoted $900). Chk engine light came on at 50K miles and it failed emissions. After 4 trips to dlr and $300 it was fixed. Now chk eng light is on again, after $430 and 2 days the light is back on. Oil has leaked since 50K miles. In May dlr quoted $5500 in necesary repairs. Want to sell it but can't afford all the repairs to get in selling condition.

Best SUV i've owned
By Rob E on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I am the original owner and now have 110,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable (far better the the 2 chevy's and 1 ford SUVs I've owned). Goes all most any where, really fun to drive. Gas milage is average for an SUV, power a little low with 4.0 but I pull a 3800lb trailer and it does OK. Maintanince is a little $ for parts and labor, find an independent for service to save $. I have all ways used regular unleaded w/o problem. I have had no major problems, just normal service accept for an exhaust manifold crack which was $800 to replace. I have driven many black diamond trails and the rover has great, blows the doors off jeeps and other stock SUVs.

Rocer rave
By David N Dix on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

The only issues I have are with Land Rover dealers and the beer holder. I have ordered parts and purchased parts from my local dealer. I constantly get attitude and no call backs. I have resorted to buying my parts online.

Might get another
By le on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

Bought new and initially had loads of problems . . . most electrical related (window motors-replaced 5, only 4 windows!!; replace front and rear sun roof motors twice each.) Warrenty covered everything but the hassle! Dealer has been great! Very dependable for last three years or so.

Might get another
By Le on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Disco's have a bad rap
By shiftaw on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I did my homework and bought a used disco I have had it for two years with no serious problems. Things to know about the vehicle, it is not designed with fuel economy in mind, it is hand built so each one might have a character all to its own, Labor and Spare parts are not cheap. On the flip side it is a joy to drive and no suburban pothole or off road trap is to hard for even the novice driver.