1996 Land Rover Discovery 4.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Rockin Little Rover

1996 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Review

SE7 4dr SUV (4.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Manual)

Rockin Little Rover
By 4 wheelin Killer on

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car and hate it all at the same time. I blew the engine at about 80k. Total cost for a decent rebuild with new everything ran about $4600. Yes it is expensive to own but so are most European cars. Germans build great cars but when they break, good bye savings. Great thing about this little beauty is that the parts are plentiful, average priced and easy to install. This dominates off road I have gone with Jeeps and Toyotas that were modified but this thing tackles almost all the obsticles on mostly stock equipment.

Favorite Features

Interior is cushy, A/C is cold, easy to fix and find parts. Expensive for heavy upgrades...just a tad with accessories. Off roading mad-machine, easy to jerry-rig stuff. You can drop numerous engines in this thing that work with the tranny great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are ill placed, small do-hickeys break easily (same in all cars). Fuel economy is lackluster. Underpowered for weight. Wish I could have found a diesel one.