Used 1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Don't buy one
By mitzy

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Car fell apart..simple things like windows

Favorite Features

seating, tight

Suggested Improvements

No more plastic parts

This SUV will bleed you dry!
By Chez

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

Don't buy one unless, of course, you can afford to pay for the constant repairs! It was a mechanical nightmare! Love the look and ride (when it is working properly)! It really is the best 4-wheel drive SUV on the road but it is not worth all the headaches! I ended up taking a $6K loss on it and leased a Honda Accord! I was losing my shirt along with my sanity!

Favorite Features

Dual Sunroofs and its 4-wheel drive capabilites. I am originally from Central NY but have been living in SC for the past 8 years. I was in NY visiting for Christmas and it went through 2 lake effect snow storms and didn't skip a beat!

96 Discovery SE7
By BRIAN

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I bought the truck with 50k miles. In the past year I have replaced the battery, plugs and wires, thermastat, tires, fuel filter, air cleaner, brakes and rotors, muffler, etc. Truck is un-stopable in the snow. Gas mileage is 12-13mpg. Acceleration is slow. Engine is known for developing valve problems. Frequent oil changes, the use of high octane fuel, and fuel additives minimize problem. Great truck if you can perform your own maintanence. Dealer prices are ridiculous. Many suppliers for parts.

Favorite Features

The dual sun roofs are a must. Try to find one with all the "kit" you can, I.E. brush guards, running boards, etc. Wood grain interior makes a huge difference. The rubber factory floor mats are awesome. They hold a lot of water.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had a trip computer with outside thermometer. Seats are positioned too high, You have to stop farther away from traffic lights to be able to see them. I wish it had more power and better fuel economy.

96 Discovery SE7
By Brian

Great Truck all stars!!
By Nick123

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This is the best truck and a great vaule for what it can do.

Favorite Features

So much!