1996 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Bullit proof
By Rover driver on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Best SUV I have ever owned. unstoppable off road,Comfortable, Excellent handeling.

BEST SUV IN THE WORLD
By ryn on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This car is a tank. A lot of people complain about the maintenance but realisticly if you bring it to the dealer for check-ups and do routine maintenance(oil change, ect) it will never die.

a HUGE commitment
By M Falade on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

Iv'e had My Rover for about 4 months, its a great vehicle if you don't mind paying a nice chunk of change for repairs or you are handy and have the time to fix it yourself.MY SUGGESTION buy a rover that has a warrenty.If you plan to go off the beaten path with your rover expect things to wear out more quickly OBVIOUS advice, but i learned the hard way and i am kicking myself now. The seats sit higher than many other SUV's allowing you to have great visibility,and relitively little blind spots, something uncommon to many other SUV's. Overall good ride if you can afford to upkeep it, and quench its ever present thirst for 93 octane fuel.

Great Rover
By iIan on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I just did a 1300 plus drive. It was great. 21 plus miles to the gallon doing a 75-80mph most of the time

WorstSUVevery
By WorstSUVever on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This truck is the absolute worst. It leaks oil like a sieve and drinks fuel like a camel. The windows and doors are made so poorly and the "Check Engine" light is on every-other day. I would not wish the torture of owning this car to anyone. I dread the selling of this car, as anyone with a thread of automotive knowledge will undoubtedly laugh at its condition.

Discovery II
By jim sayles sr on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought to replace my '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee I much prefer this vehicle it's without a doubt 'stylish', but my main objective its reputation as 'hardy', which it has show to be from date of purchase to now.The A/C was a bit disturbing in its short term life before needing attention, but those it is a most enjoyable vehicle and I recommend it highly to others. The redeeming quality of the Discovery is its absolute authority offroad Fulltime 4wheel is a blessing, much better than my older Jeep.

A Wonderful 4X4! If one can handle it!
By mattgibson on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

My 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 has been and continues to be a wonderfully enjoyable vehicle! I have put nearly 80,000 miles on mine in a lttle over a year and it has been there everytime I needed it. Its capable four-wheel drive got myself and three other friends out of Ft. Worth, Texas this past Feburary during the terrible ice storm that hit the area and back to Georgia without a scratch while many other vehicles had a hard time. It has plenty of room for the equipment, animals, and friends that are usually found with me. Just a great vehicle!

Shop sees it more than I do
By Empty Wallet on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Spent almost $5000 on repairs in 2 yrs. 1st Transmission needed replace. Then ALL FOUR O-2 sensors. Later the plastic excuse for a U-joint came apart. This week, window regulator simply fell apart. Can you say "money pit"? The British should stick to making tea, not cars. When I complained to the LR service rep, he replied "Thats why I drive a GM"

LandRover Disco
By JayCruise on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Transfer case id $3,000 if it goes and it will go. The transmission is $3,000 when it goes and it will go. The engine is $3,000 when it goes and it will go. Not a very affordable vehicle but loads of fun.

Great Vehicle
By Tester on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I've been really happy with this vehicle. Since I bought it, I just took it to the dealer for minor check ups. Build very solid and drives so great everywhere. Driving during the Michigan winters is no longer a challenge and is really fun