1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Rockin Little Rover
By 4 wheelin Killer on 06/20/07 19:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car and hate it all at the same time. I blew the engine at about 80k. Total cost for a decent rebuild with new everything ran about $4600. Yes it is expensive to own but so are most European cars. Germans build great cars but when they break, good bye savings. Great thing about this little beauty is that the parts are plentiful, average priced and easy to install. This dominates off road I have gone with Jeeps and Toyotas that were modified but this thing tackles almost all the obsticles on mostly stock equipment.

Best ever
By Trey Lee on 07/27/05 21:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This is the most fun, safe, and all around best vehicle that I have ever owned. You can do just about anything with this vehicle without the worry of somting breaking. This is why I love my Disco SO MUCH!!!

Built to Last
By Ryan on 06/06/05 17:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

The truck is bad on gas but great every way else. Reliable, tough and fun. Great value used. still easy to mistake as a much newer truck. Built like a tank, and super comfortable on long trips. A true adventure vehicle.. and the poshness of a luxury british vehicle. Others may go faster but in a land rover you can go anywhere.

BEST SUV IN THE WORLD
By ryn on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This car is a tank. A lot of people complain about the maintenance but realisticly if you bring it to the dealer for check-ups and do routine maintenance(oil change, ect) it will never die.

a HUGE commitment
By M Falade on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

Iv'e had My Rover for about 4 months, its a great vehicle if you don't mind paying a nice chunk of change for repairs or you are handy and have the time to fix it yourself.MY SUGGESTION buy a rover that has a warrenty.If you plan to go off the beaten path with your rover expect things to wear out more quickly OBVIOUS advice, but i learned the hard way and i am kicking myself now. The seats sit higher than many other SUV's allowing you to have great visibility,and relitively little blind spots, something uncommon to many other SUV's. Overall good ride if you can afford to upkeep it, and quench its ever present thirst for 93 octane fuel.

Great Rover
By iIan on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I just did a 1300 plus drive. It was great. 21 plus miles to the gallon doing a 75-80mph most of the time

WorstSUVevery
By WorstSUVever on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This truck is the absolute worst. It leaks oil like a sieve and drinks fuel like a camel. The windows and doors are made so poorly and the "Check Engine" light is on every-other day. I would not wish the torture of owning this car to anyone. I dread the selling of this car, as anyone with a thread of automotive knowledge will undoubtedly laugh at its condition.

A Wonderful 4X4! If one can handle it!
By mattgibson on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

My 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 has been and continues to be a wonderfully enjoyable vehicle! I have put nearly 80,000 miles on mine in a lttle over a year and it has been there everytime I needed it. Its capable four-wheel drive got myself and three other friends out of Ft. Worth, Texas this past Feburary during the terrible ice storm that hit the area and back to Georgia without a scratch while many other vehicles had a hard time. It has plenty of room for the equipment, animals, and friends that are usually found with me. Just a great vehicle!

Great Vehicle
By Tester on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I've been really happy with this vehicle. Since I bought it, I just took it to the dealer for minor check ups. Build very solid and drives so great everywhere. Driving during the Michigan winters is no longer a challenge and is really fun

96 Discovery SE7
By Brian on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I bought the truck with 50k miles. In the past year I have replaced the battery, plugs and wires, thermastat, tires, fuel filter, air cleaner, brakes and rotors, muffler, etc. Truck is un-stopable in the snow. Gas mileage is 12-13mpg. Acceleration is slow. Engine is known for developing valve problems. Frequent oil changes, the use of high octane fuel, and fuel additives minimize problem. Great truck if you can perform your own maintanence. Dealer prices are ridiculous. Many suppliers for parts.