1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Excellent rig !
By bimah320 on 07/15/12 05:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

This is my 2nd Discovery, my 1st on being a series 2, but my wife wrecked it. I replaced it with a '96 series 1, and we love it. Our Disco has over 200k on it, and it runs great. I have had to make a few minor repairs, but I NEVER go to the dealer. Just find parts online, much cheaper, then go to a local mechanic if you are not inclined to do your own work. The engine is pretty much an aluminum block Oldsmobile V8. If you're buying anything used, you can expect to throw a little money at it. I paid 2500, spent about 300 on some repair parts, then 500 on a 2" lift, and 900 for 265/75-16 tires. Now, for less than 5 grand, I have something way better than a Jeep.

Run as fast as you can
By coolkj on 08/01/08 15:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Worst SUV ever constructed. The frame and body are built like a tank but everything else comes from a bubble gum machine. Example, they still use cork gaskets. Ah, that is why it leaks like a sieve and 3K a year in repairs minimum. Run, run fast in the other direction.

Awesome
By Mace Baker on 01/06/08 08:35 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

This Landrover Discovery has been in the family for 12 years. At first it was a city slicker in lexington KY then we moved to hazard KY. It spent about five more years as a daily driver to and from work. Then we sold it. Mistake! One year later we bought it back when we started to miss it. Good choice. Then we started to fourwheel it on fourwheeler trails. It did better than any of our friends Bronco, Jeep. It does awesome in the mud/hills/ and snow. We took all of the plastic out too.

Why?
By formerroverowner on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Why would anyone buy one? Avg 12mpg, rusts out, always in need of repair, always leaks (this is a Rover feature), parts break and fail but sometimes "self-heal", electrical system is a nightmare and numerous features quit or worked intermittently. Mildly capable offroad but the risk of breaking parts (differential, axles, e.g.) is very high. The Discovery is all image, no substance, and a nightmare to own.

Bullit proof
By Rover driver on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Best SUV I have ever owned. unstoppable off road,Comfortable, Excellent handeling.

Discovery II
By jim sayles sr on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought to replace my '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee I much prefer this vehicle it's without a doubt 'stylish', but my main objective its reputation as 'hardy', which it has show to be from date of purchase to now.The A/C was a bit disturbing in its short term life before needing attention, but those it is a most enjoyable vehicle and I recommend it highly to others. The redeeming quality of the Discovery is its absolute authority offroad Fulltime 4wheel is a blessing, much better than my older Jeep.

LandRover Disco
By JayCruise on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Transfer case id $3,000 if it goes and it will go. The transmission is $3,000 when it goes and it will go. The engine is $3,000 when it goes and it will go. Not a very affordable vehicle but loads of fun.

Don't buy one
By mitzy on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Car fell apart..simple things like windows

Maintenance a must
By Ed N on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

After 90,000 miles i'm still impressed. Straight from the factory the best 4X4 without the bother of modifications. This car is solidly built and heavy. But keep up on the maintenace. Get it severviced and have it inspected on a regular basis. If you cant afford the cost then go with a honda, toyota, ford or chevorlet. Being a mechanic I find that most owners who ignore maintenance are the ones having the problems!!Use OEM parts.This indeed is a stout offroad vehicle adapted for city streets but for a product that balances off road with a nice city drive I have yet to see another. Proud to say that Land Rover is now a family name!

Spanked by my Rover
By 4Wheeler on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Loved driving my Rover, that is when I was not getting the transmission rebuilt or having a chronic unrepairable oil leak repaired, or power stearing bump replaced. Everything about this car was unreliable and as expensive as a Mecedes 500 or 911. Dealer was very un-responsive to my plite. I have owned Land Cruisers, Vetts, Audi's.. you get the idea - I love cars. This thing was junk. I hear that in 97 they made them better, it would have to be a total metamorphosis to even be considered good. I called Ford to get some satisfaction, they never responded. Open your wallet and suck all the money out, and that is what it will feel like owning a Disco.