Used 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Excellent rig !
By bimah320

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

This is my 2nd Discovery, my 1st on being a series 2, but my wife wrecked it. I replaced it with a '96 series 1, and we love it. Our Disco has over 200k on it, and it runs great. I have had to make a few minor repairs, but I NEVER go to the dealer. Just find parts online, much cheaper, then go to a local mechanic if you are not inclined to do your own work. The engine is pretty much an aluminum block Oldsmobile V8. If you're buying anything used, you can expect to throw a little money at it. I paid 2500, spent about 300 on some repair parts, then 500 on a 2" lift, and 900 for 265/75-16 tires. Now, for less than 5 grand, I have something way better than a Jeep.

Visibility, comfort, AWD and 3ft of mud can't stop it !

Run as fast as you can
By coolkj

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Worst SUV ever constructed. The frame and body are built like a tank but everything else comes from a bubble gum machine. Example, they still use cork gaskets. Ah, that is why it leaks like a sieve and 3K a year in repairs minimum. Run, run fast in the other direction.

Hmm, sold it

Should have never bought it.

Awesome
By Mace Baker

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

This Landrover Discovery has been in the family for 12 years. At first it was a city slicker in lexington KY then we moved to hazard KY. It spent about five more years as a daily driver to and from work. Then we sold it. Mistake! One year later we bought it back when we started to miss it. Good choice. Then we started to fourwheel it on fourwheeler trails. It did better than any of our friends Bronco, Jeep. It does awesome in the mud/hills/ and snow. We took all of the plastic out too.

6 disc cd player

None

Why?
By formerroverowner

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Why would anyone buy one? Avg 12mpg, rusts out, always in need of repair, always leaks (this is a Rover feature), parts break and fail but sometimes "self-heal", electrical system is a nightmare and numerous features quit or worked intermittently. Mildly capable offroad but the risk of breaking parts (differential, axles, e.g.) is very high. The Discovery is all image, no substance, and a nightmare to own.

Bullit proof
By Rover driver

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Best SUV I have ever owned. unstoppable off road,Comfortable, Excellent handeling.

Off road ability, on road handeling

More power