1996 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
nothin like a rover!
By mike on 11/01/09 23:18 PM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

i have had my rover for about a year now. and have subjected it to every kind of torture possible! lol its been through creeks, woods and snow deep enough that i was pulling out snow plows! but it has always been comfortable and reliable! it drinks gas like crazy, and could use some more get up and go. but i wouldnt trade it for anything! once u own a discovery u wont be without one!

Land Rover--great buy
By Sam on 08/22/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Best value for the money and with manual trans--gets 20mpg on the hwy--14 city--not bad for a heavy v8 suv

Long term evaluation
By Nanuq on 05/02/05 12:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I've used this truck HARD supporting hundreds of Scout outings and she has never failed. She starts no matter how cold it gets and she's never stranded us or got unfixably stuck. At 95k miles she still drives like new and everything works great. She does ooze fluids but I can live with that. This is the truck I'll never get rid of... everything else has let me down or proved untrustworthy enough to not want to keep it. Buy a Rover and maintain it. Use it hard, periodically drive it like you stole it, and it will last nearly forever.

Shop sees it more than I do
By Empty Wallet on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Spent almost $5000 on repairs in 2 yrs. 1st Transmission needed replace. Then ALL FOUR O-2 sensors. Later the plastic excuse for a U-joint came apart. This week, window regulator simply fell apart. Can you say "money pit"? The British should stick to making tea, not cars. When I complained to the LR service rep, he replied "Thats why I drive a GM"

This SUV will bleed you dry!
By Chez on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Don't buy one unless, of course, you can afford to pay for the constant repairs! It was a mechanical nightmare! Love the look and ride (when it is working properly)! It really is the best 4-wheel drive SUV on the road but it is not worth all the headaches! I ended up taking a $6K loss on it and leased a Honda Accord! I was losing my shirt along with my sanity!

I love my Discovery
By thebrybry on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Great car. Although if you have to take them into the shop for work, it's going to hit hard on your pocket book. Other than that I love it. Great car.

The REAL DEAL!!!
By KHB on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

This is not my first, it will not be my last, in fact it's not my only Land Rover. I absolutely love this machine. NOTE to the wise... shop for quality not price. I was very selective as to the Rover(s) I chose. If you don't buy from a Land Rover dealer, at least pay the $75-$100 to have their TECH's look it over. These guys know what to look for, use that resource. Do you know if the "constant velocity joint" and the "swivel pin assembly" requires attention? Well, the Technician will.

Great overall SUV!
By Hooky on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I've had mine a good while now, and have no tbeen disapointed yet. Have owned 4Runners, GMCs, and Landcruisers for compairison purposes--the Disco has been the best all the way around. I give the Disco 5 out of 5 stars.

Solid truck with little problems
By gregor on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased mine with 65,000 and have put another 40,000 in two years. The truck is hands down the best 4WD/off road SUV out there and I've pulled out many a Jeep or Toyota on back wood trails or mountain passes. In the city it's a bit anemic as far as performance and it's handling is average at best. There have been few major mechanical problems but many minor electrical ones - it's British. Off pavement I wouldn't trade it for anything - on pavement... well, you can't have it both ways really.

The Money Pit
By JeffW on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Discovery used with approximately 35,000 miles. I loved the vehicle at first, but then the problems began. The car was in and out of the shop constantly with oil leaks and transmission problems. I traded the Discover for a Jeep after the Discovery's engine ceased while idoling in my driveway. No joke. The oil pump apparently shut down, causing the engine to blow up. It had 58,000 miles at the time.