Used 1996 Land Rover Discovery SD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

1996 Land Rover Discovery

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

nothin like a rover!
By mike

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

i have had my rover for about a year now. and have subjected it to every kind of torture possible! lol its been through creeks, woods and snow deep enough that i was pulling out snow plows! but it has always been comfortable and reliable! it drinks gas like crazy, and could use some more get up and go. but i wouldnt trade it for anything! once u own a discovery u wont be without one!

Favorite Features

looks great! comfortable! incredible offroad!

Suggested Improvements

for the gas it takes i wish it had more power! but it ways almost 3 ton so its expected!

Land Rover--great buy
By Sam

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Best value for the money and with manual trans--gets 20mpg on the hwy--14 city--not bad for a heavy v8 suv

Favorite Features

The dealership network--best of any experience with any car ever---makes me want to keep a land rover--no new car dealer matches what land rover does--and the incredible treatment and reasonable prices for dealer service--unbelievable

Long term evaluation
By Nanuq

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I've used this truck HARD supporting hundreds of Scout outings and she has never failed. She starts no matter how cold it gets and she's never stranded us or got unfixably stuck. At 95k miles she still drives like new and everything works great. She does ooze fluids but I can live with that. This is the truck I'll never get rid of... everything else has let me down or proved untrustworthy enough to not want to keep it. Buy a Rover and maintain it. Use it hard, periodically drive it like you stole it, and it will last nearly forever.

Favorite Features

Suspension and throttle / brake controls. Ability to modulate traction offroad. Flat sides for close clearances. Apparent unlimited lifespan. Ability to maintain and fix her myself. Plus she looks cool.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a simpler model with manual windows and transmission. Bring the diesel and 5-speed to America!

Shop sees it more than I do
By Empty Wallet

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Spent almost $5000 on repairs in 2 yrs. 1st Transmission needed replace. Then ALL FOUR O-2 sensors. Later the plastic excuse for a U-joint came apart. This week, window regulator simply fell apart. Can you say "money pit"? The British should stick to making tea, not cars. When I complained to the LR service rep, he replied "Thats why I drive a GM"

Favorite Features

Looks Good. Strong A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Go to Germany and learn how to design cars.

This SUV will bleed you dry!
By Chez

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Don't buy one unless, of course, you can afford to pay for the constant repairs! It was a mechanical nightmare! Love the look and ride (when it is working properly)! It really is the best 4-wheel drive SUV on the road but it is not worth all the headaches! I ended up taking a $6K loss on it and leased a Honda Accord! I was losing my shirt along with my sanity!

Favorite Features

Dual Sunroofs and its 4-wheel drive capabilites. I am originally from Central NY but have been living in SC for the past 8 years. I was in NY visiting for Christmas and it went through 2 lake effect snow storms and didn't skip a beat!