Used 1996 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Excellent rig !
By bimah320

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

This is my 2nd Discovery, my 1st on being a series 2, but my wife wrecked it. I replaced it with a '96 series 1, and we love it. Our Disco has over 200k on it, and it runs great. I have had to make a few minor repairs, but I NEVER go to the dealer. Just find parts online, much cheaper, then go to a local mechanic if you are not inclined to do your own work. The engine is pretty much an aluminum block Oldsmobile V8. If you're buying anything used, you can expect to throw a little money at it. I paid 2500, spent about 300 on some repair parts, then 500 on a 2" lift, and 900 for 265/75-16 tires. Now, for less than 5 grand, I have something way better than a Jeep.

Favorite Features

Visibility, comfort, AWD and 3ft of mud can't stop it !

nothin like a rover!
By mike

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

i have had my rover for about a year now. and have subjected it to every kind of torture possible! lol its been through creeks, woods and snow deep enough that i was pulling out snow plows! but it has always been comfortable and reliable! it drinks gas like crazy, and could use some more get up and go. but i wouldnt trade it for anything! once u own a discovery u wont be without one!

Favorite Features

looks great! comfortable! incredible offroad!

Suggested Improvements

for the gas it takes i wish it had more power! but it ways almost 3 ton so its expected!

Run as fast as you can
By coolkj

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Worst SUV ever constructed. The frame and body are built like a tank but everything else comes from a bubble gum machine. Example, they still use cork gaskets. Ah, that is why it leaks like a sieve and 3K a year in repairs minimum. Run, run fast in the other direction.

Favorite Features

Hmm, sold it

Suggested Improvements

Should have never bought it.

Awesome
By Mace Baker

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

This Landrover Discovery has been in the family for 12 years. At first it was a city slicker in lexington KY then we moved to hazard KY. It spent about five more years as a daily driver to and from work. Then we sold it. Mistake! One year later we bought it back when we started to miss it. Good choice. Then we started to fourwheel it on fourwheeler trails. It did better than any of our friends Bronco, Jeep. It does awesome in the mud/hills/ and snow. We took all of the plastic out too.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd player

Suggested Improvements

None

Rockin Little Rover
By 4 wheelin Killer

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car and hate it all at the same time. I blew the engine at about 80k. Total cost for a decent rebuild with new everything ran about $4600. Yes it is expensive to own but so are most European cars. Germans build great cars but when they break, good bye savings. Great thing about this little beauty is that the parts are plentiful, average priced and easy to install. This dominates off road I have gone with Jeeps and Toyotas that were modified but this thing tackles almost all the obsticles on mostly stock equipment.

Favorite Features

Interior is cushy, A/C is cold, easy to fix and find parts. Expensive for heavy upgrades...just a tad with accessories. Off roading mad-machine, easy to jerry-rig stuff. You can drop numerous engines in this thing that work with the tranny great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are ill placed, small do-hickeys break easily (same in all cars). Fuel economy is lackluster. Underpowered for weight. Wish I could have found a diesel one.