1996 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Excellent rig !
By bimah320 on 07/15/12 05:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

This is my 2nd Discovery, my 1st on being a series 2, but my wife wrecked it. I replaced it with a '96 series 1, and we love it. Our Disco has over 200k on it, and it runs great. I have had to make a few minor repairs, but I NEVER go to the dealer. Just find parts online, much cheaper, then go to a local mechanic if you are not inclined to do your own work. The engine is pretty much an aluminum block Oldsmobile V8. If you're buying anything used, you can expect to throw a little money at it. I paid 2500, spent about 300 on some repair parts, then 500 on a 2" lift, and 900 for 265/75-16 tires. Now, for less than 5 grand, I have something way better than a Jeep.

nothin like a rover!
By mike on 11/01/09 23:18 PM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

i have had my rover for about a year now. and have subjected it to every kind of torture possible! lol its been through creeks, woods and snow deep enough that i was pulling out snow plows! but it has always been comfortable and reliable! it drinks gas like crazy, and could use some more get up and go. but i wouldnt trade it for anything! once u own a discovery u wont be without one!

Run as fast as you can
By coolkj on 08/01/08 15:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Worst SUV ever constructed. The frame and body are built like a tank but everything else comes from a bubble gum machine. Example, they still use cork gaskets. Ah, that is why it leaks like a sieve and 3K a year in repairs minimum. Run, run fast in the other direction.

Awesome
By Mace Baker on 01/06/08 08:35 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

This Landrover Discovery has been in the family for 12 years. At first it was a city slicker in lexington KY then we moved to hazard KY. It spent about five more years as a daily driver to and from work. Then we sold it. Mistake! One year later we bought it back when we started to miss it. Good choice. Then we started to fourwheel it on fourwheeler trails. It did better than any of our friends Bronco, Jeep. It does awesome in the mud/hills/ and snow. We took all of the plastic out too.

Rockin Little Rover
By 4 wheelin Killer on 06/20/07 19:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car and hate it all at the same time. I blew the engine at about 80k. Total cost for a decent rebuild with new everything ran about $4600. Yes it is expensive to own but so are most European cars. Germans build great cars but when they break, good bye savings. Great thing about this little beauty is that the parts are plentiful, average priced and easy to install. This dominates off road I have gone with Jeeps and Toyotas that were modified but this thing tackles almost all the obsticles on mostly stock equipment.

Land Rover--great buy
By Sam on 08/22/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

Best value for the money and with manual trans--gets 20mpg on the hwy--14 city--not bad for a heavy v8 suv

Best ever
By Trey Lee on 07/27/05 21:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

This is the most fun, safe, and all around best vehicle that I have ever owned. You can do just about anything with this vehicle without the worry of somting breaking. This is why I love my Disco SO MUCH!!!

Built to Last
By Ryan on 06/06/05 17:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4dr SUV AWD

The truck is bad on gas but great every way else. Reliable, tough and fun. Great value used. still easy to mistake as a much newer truck. Built like a tank, and super comfortable on long trips. A true adventure vehicle.. and the poshness of a luxury british vehicle. Others may go faster but in a land rover you can go anywhere.

Long term evaluation
By Nanuq on 05/02/05 12:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4dr SUV AWD

I've used this truck HARD supporting hundreds of Scout outings and she has never failed. She starts no matter how cold it gets and she's never stranded us or got unfixably stuck. At 95k miles she still drives like new and everything works great. She does ooze fluids but I can live with that. This is the truck I'll never get rid of... everything else has let me down or proved untrustworthy enough to not want to keep it. Buy a Rover and maintain it. Use it hard, periodically drive it like you stole it, and it will last nearly forever.

Why?
By formerroverowner on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV AWD

Why would anyone buy one? Avg 12mpg, rusts out, always in need of repair, always leaks (this is a Rover feature), parts break and fail but sometimes "self-heal", electrical system is a nightmare and numerous features quit or worked intermittently. Mildly capable offroad but the risk of breaking parts (differential, axles, e.g.) is very high. The Discovery is all image, no substance, and a nightmare to own.

1 2 3 4 5 next »