Used 1995 Land Rover Discovery Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

1995 Land Rover Discovery

Base 3.9L V8 AWD 5-speed Manual - (27 reviews )

Best Car Ever
By keekee3

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Got my 95 Discovery new 29 years ago. It breaks my heart to trade it in today. Really reliable car, never has had a head gasket issue, or transmission problems like other family members North American cars. After 20 years the engine seal is going, she's showing a bit of rust, and wheel bushings are a commonly replaced item. Aside from routine maintenance and one accident where we were rear ended no real issues. Even with the accident we drove away, the jetta was totalled. I know she has been bought already, I hope they will love her as much as I have.

Favorite Features

Windsheild angle - Not overly angled like so many cars today. Theatre seating - makes visibility awesome Ability to drive through 2 feet of snow without haveing to put it even in low. Powerful engine Heated mirrors before they were common place. Ample head room for 6' 4" husband. My odometer is at 250,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

More drink holders and versitility of size. Unable to hold a variety of sized containers. Drink holders for the back seat passengers Better seals - water comes in at front passenger foot vent.

Has problems but never lets me down...
By Drcupcake

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

I've owned this car for four years and have loved it. Well maybe more of a love/hate relationship. My motto is always to drive a car till it dies. I stop doing repairs on this vehicle two years ago (besides brakes) and it just will not die. The engine clicks all the time, rear windows don't move, ABS broke, radio squeals, airbags malfunctioned, door latches broken on all doors, seats torn to pieces, rust everywhere. And it only has 112,000 miles. But yet she just keeps moving. It's a beautiful car, but obviously cheaply made. The reliability is unbeatable though. She may be falling apart, but I bet I can get another 50,000 miles out of her.

Suggested Improvements

NO car should fall apart like this one has.

Too bad
By never again

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

This is my second land Rover Discovery. My first one was a 97 both automatic transmissions. If either had been a 5 speed I suspect I would have been much happier. On the 95 the transmissions was never positive feeling on shifts ( the 97 was very snappy ), slips into gear so I never trusted towing with it. Exhaust rusted and fell off, these vehicles are so under powered it makes driving it an irritation. The 95 Transfer case isnt known for its reliability and mine would never stay in 4low or locked position without popping out of gear. The car also had a roar at 70 mph that was not tire noise. I never found the source for that either.

Favorite Features

AWD, ride quality and driving feel.

Suggested Improvements

More power! ( only has 182hp) stainless exhaust, better lug nuts.

The Buzzard
By johnclark4127

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Absolutely the best off road vehicle you can buy. I've spent a lot of time modifying mine. I switched to scorpion racing springs and shocks for a 3" lift. The difference is unreal. The stock diff lock provides ample traction to get over anything in your way. Definitely check the maintenance records before you buy one. Rovers are hit and miss. If you buy a lemon you'll be repairing it all of the time. If you find on that hasn't had a lot of work done, it's a safe bet that it will last forever. mine is indestructible, but others are not so lucky, so definitely check. it climbs like a tank. Good tires and a small lift will do wonders. I run goodyear M/tr's. You won't believe how much travel it has!

Favorite Features

The superb approach and departure angles! I removed the bottom half of the front bumper with a screwdriver and a small hack saw. It's a mod that won't cost you anything, and will boost the approach angle dramatically. Plus, it looks better. I love the low gearing with the five speed manual.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power on the highway. It's perfect for off-roading, but a little underpowered if you run big tires like I am. With the gearing though, it has more power than my Chevy p/u with a 454 in low range. I love the diff lock, and suspension travel. Dashboard is a little cheap. I'll buy another

Don't buy a Land Rover
By benk97487

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Land rovers are electrical nightmares, stay away from them!!! If you do buy one get to know your truck because you'll be working on it non stop. From starters, alternators, regulators- (which are the worst in the industry), transmissions, although the engine is sure to be solid everything else will ultimately will need to be replaced regularly. Parts are 2-4 times the price as a normal part. If you buy have fun replacing the regulators every year @ $140 a piece if you put them in yourself. Don't buy one!

Favorite Features

4wd system is top notch if you can keep the thing running.

Suggested Improvements

No need to comment here, I'm reverting back to what my mother used to say to me: "if you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all."