1995 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.9L V8 AWD 5-speed Manual - (0 review )
Has problems but never lets me down...
By Drcupcake on 07/15/09 02:21 AM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

I've owned this car for four years and have loved it. Well maybe more of a love/hate relationship. My motto is always to drive a car till it dies. I stop doing repairs on this vehicle two years ago (besides brakes) and it just will not die. The engine clicks all the time, rear windows don't move, ABS broke, radio squeals, airbags malfunctioned, door latches broken on all doors, seats torn to pieces, rust everywhere. And it only has 112,000 miles. But yet she just keeps moving. It's a beautiful car, but obviously cheaply made. The reliability is unbeatable though. She may be falling apart, but I bet I can get another 50,000 miles out of her.

Too bad
By never again on 09/14/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

This is my second land Rover Discovery. My first one was a 97 both automatic transmissions. If either had been a 5 speed I suspect I would have been much happier. On the 95 the transmissions was never positive feeling on shifts ( the 97 was very snappy ), slips into gear so I never trusted towing with it. Exhaust rusted and fell off, these vehicles are so under powered it makes driving it an irritation. The 95 Transfer case isnt known for its reliability and mine would never stay in 4low or locked position without popping out of gear. The car also had a roar at 70 mph that was not tire noise. I never found the source for that either.

The Buzzard
By johnclark4127 on 09/04/08 21:02 PM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Absolutely the best off road vehicle you can buy. I've spent a lot of time modifying mine. I switched to scorpion racing springs and shocks for a 3" lift. The difference is unreal. The stock diff lock provides ample traction to get over anything in your way. Definitely check the maintenance records before you buy one. Rovers are hit and miss. If you buy a lemon you'll be repairing it all of the time. If you find on that hasn't had a lot of work done, it's a safe bet that it will last forever. mine is indestructible, but others are not so lucky, so definitely check. it climbs like a tank. Good tires and a small lift will do wonders. I run goodyear M/tr's. You won't believe how much travel it has!

Don't buy a Land Rover
By benk97487 on 04/13/08 19:02 PM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Land rovers are electrical nightmares, stay away from them!!! If you do buy one get to know your truck because you'll be working on it non stop. From starters, alternators, regulators- (which are the worst in the industry), transmissions, although the engine is sure to be solid everything else will ultimately will need to be replaced regularly. Parts are 2-4 times the price as a normal part. If you buy have fun replacing the regulators every year @ $140 a piece if you put them in yourself. Don't buy one!

Disco 1 5 speed
By DIsco '95 on 03/24/08 11:49 AM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

I have 230,000 miles and still counting and absolutly love my Disco. I bought it brand new in 1996 with 9.3 miles on her. I have had a lot of the problems other people are having but turns out to be the minor (small) things controling a (bigger) serious componant. (i.e. windows stop working, i thought it was the $250 moter, it turns out to be the $7 switch.) I rest my case. 230,000 mi and the only things replaced were the tires and brakes once. Oh I almost forgot the rear seat belt buckles were broken do to the seat being slammed on top of them about a millon times. Totaly my fault.

Great Used Truck for the MONEY
By landy light on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Ive put @800mi on it since i bought it and absolutely love it. NOUGH SAID

Disco party
By volvodr on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

This is a fun vehicle to drive, with a nice, high seating position for good visibility. The v-8 motor gives it adequate power. The air conditioning is one of the coldest I have ever owned. It also has a very tight turning radius, especially for a truck. My kids love the jump seats in the rear. The cd changer and remote entry are also enjoyable and reliable.,

Buyer Beware!
By Ihatelandrovers on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Before buying a Land Rover, you should set up a trust fund in order to finance the parts. An oil change alone will run $60. The regulator on the rear passenger window broke...$330. The ignition lock assembly just broke...parts are $415. It is mechanically unreliable. It leaks oil like a sieve. A lifter is ticking. My mechanic says he could fix it but it would be around $1,500. The A/C compressor pulley bearings are starting to squeal. I can't bring myself to price a new clutch and bearing assembly for that. It gets a vibration at about 65mph. Don't get sucked in by the stylish exterior. There's a lemon underneath it.

Will buy another one
By J.B on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

We never thought we would even consider a landrover we had only heard of them But we saw one on a local lot and the rest is history, it followed us home ,we love it crusies down the highway in comfort and have never had a major problem with it it had 60000 mi when we bought it and has 98000 now and it runs like new

GREAT CAR. I LOVE IT
By cardude24224 on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Land Rover Discovery 4dr SUV AWD

Great car, no real problems with it so far...have had it for 5 years....doesnt let me down....some minor repairs have been made, but not nearly as often as some of it's american competitors....i love it, and would recommend it to anyone looking at mid to late 90 land rover discoverys