2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Review: Tedious but worth it

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Review

SD 4dr SUV (4.0L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Tedious but worth it
By mbrosch1 on

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Rover (a 2002 Disco w/104k miles) but many years ago I was a BMC mechanic, so I'm not unused to the way the English build things. My Disco had an over heated engine when I gave the seller $1000 for it. I located a good short block, did the heads and Bingo!, I have a serious off road truck. Of course "bingo" didn't happen. The thing was down for 6 weeks as I worked and educated myself on the bloody thing. They things are about the most demanding of patience of any care I have ever busted a knuckle on.

The Disco is very well built TRUCK. It isn't all things to all people, because compromises were made to provide a serious off-road vehicle with generally good road manners. And this isn't a Ford that you can maintain on a shoestring. If you will get the manuals and read them before during and after you do anything at all you will discover that these are extremely well engineered units and worthy of their reputation for reliability. Take short cuts and try hacking a Rover and your toast. The best word to use for them is tedious. And expensive. And tough. But worth it.