2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Review: Nifty SUV, But Too Uncomfortab

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Review

Nifty SUV, But Too Uncomfortable for Me
By car reviewer on

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I could not get used to the ergonomics. After owning the vehicle for less than a month, I sold it at a $3,500 loss. I am 6-2" and weigh 189 lbs. My right hip ached while driving, due to the highly angled side seat bolsters. This creates pressure on the side of your hips. The steering wheel rubbed against my right thigh, causing pressure on my knee when I pressed the brake. Once I hit both the brake and gas simultaneously. Not good ergonomics.It was fun to drive, though and looked great. I remember Billy Crystal on Saturday Night Live playing Fernando Lamas saying: "I would rather to look good than to feel good."

The Active Cornering Enhancement system works. Body roll is negligible. The Discovery is a neat SUV that can climb mountains and cross Africa. However, there are other 4x4 choices if you are over 5'-8" and weigh more than 150 lbs.

Replace the buckets with flatter seats. Add telescoping steering wheel. Widen the seating/elbow area. Make doorside armrests 1-1/2" wider and 4 inches longer. Move gas pedal to the right a couple of inches. Put the window controls in a grouping on the left front armrest.