2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
this suv is sexy
By LAUREN on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This suv is sexy!

The price of snobbery
By peterk on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Guided by my wife, we chose to buy the landrover over domestic or japanese models. NEVER, NEVER again. Poor paint on delivery kept the piece of junk in the dealers hands for the first month. When we finally got to test the vehicle on a longer trip, ominous clunking noises from the transmission kept us from trying it out. Engine noise, horrible performance and terrible gas mileage are the price we are paying for keeping up with the Jones. The most disappointing thing in the whole landrover ownership ordeal is the truly horrendous way in which landrover ignores clients who shell out $40,000. I do hope it is not Ford who has set up their client relations department.

what happened to the rover?
By jpp on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is said to be a go anywhere vehicle. Lately it has been a go to the service department. Three times in the last 6 months. Bring back the Defender the discovery has too many bells and whistles therefore more components to break.

Okay, so its appealing, strong and fun
By browngirl on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

My third year and I must say I love it. I do, however believe it is a car that I would only lease with free scheduled maintenences. I could not imagine the expense and upkeep if I owned one. Fun to drive. Kids love it, too. I feel like I could drive right up a mountain. My mother hates trying to get in and out of it. Basically it is a rugged luxury toy with a cute high top tennis shoe body. Given all the above, I am still off to lease my second one!

New Owner
By futurebeachbum on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Just took delivery of a SE model, Westminster edition with the Harman Kardon audio/navigation system(way cool), added brush bar, Hella 3000 driving lights & rear ladder. Did a lot of research and it came down to this. This vehicle has character...in spades! There are SUV's that are more sophisticated, more powerful, better riding, better ergonomically, and get better gas mileage. But most of them are extremely boring with an identity crisis, is it a car, a mini van, or an off road vehicle? The Discovery is unique in it's design and character. Yes it's quirky in some ways, but that's part of the charm. It's also solid, fun to drive and knows exactly what it is...a Land Rover.

The 4x4 for wyoming
By m.l. brown on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I use my land rover here in wyoming for everything from grocery shopping to gold panning, to hunting and to just smell the interior with its leather that buick and toyota can only dream about. Up elk hunting, I left my atv at camp because this outfit would go anywhere my atv would go, within size limits. a lot of other guys really admired this vehicles ability to go anywhere, and asked where to get one. when I told them the closest dealer was Denver(300 miles) they kind of lost their wanting one. oh well, I"ll just have to live with the fact that I have only the second one in my part of the state(150,000 miles square!!)

Much better than Disco I
By Mr. Patent on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

The Disco II is a much improved product over the Disco I with better build quality, including a roomier and quieter cabin. The DII handles and rides quite well on the road, though it is sprung fairly tight for offroad use. The DII is a pretty wide (and long) rig. When offroading, the width of the rig can be a problem on narrower two-track trails. Branches,rocks and other debris that may miss a narrower rig will snag your DII. Surprisingly, some DII SD models are also not being equipped with a trailer hitch receiver as standard equipment--and it is a fairly expensive option. If you camp (or smoke) you'll also miss the cigarette lighter--my SD came with a dummy plug.

LandRover Disco II
By Patrick Lo on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great SUV, wouldn't buy other brands

just Right
By jcs on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Handles like a dream, I have back problems and this unit is very good to my poor back...very hard to beat. this unit is not too big and not too small. contrary to other comments the location of the controls for the seats is just fine.

king of suv's
By bandit on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

sports like handling, good looks, long list of features, well built, i would recommend this suv to any one.