Used 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:

Worst Car I ever bought
By Charlie

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Landrover replaced the engine twice in my SE within the 1st 28,000 miles. The oil pan dropped out on a separate occasion, the driver side door window dropped into the window well in DECEMBER (a chilly ride to the dealership to get it fixed). Landrover tells me there's nothing wrong with the car since they are able to repair the problems. Problem is, I dont like being in the dealer ship every couple of months. Very dissapointing. I will NEVER buy another one.

Care for a spot of tea?
By Chris

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted an LR. I have driven BMW, VOLVO, and domestic. I have not had this much fun and excitement about driving in a very long time. With some minor mods (ie) K&n air filter, you will see an increase in fuel efficiency. I swear!!! Also, I have become more outdoorsy and have developed a slight British accent, just kidding! I love this vehicle!!!

Favorite Features

All time all wheel drive, interior, exterior. I have not qualms over this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Increase ground clearance, optional on the fly 4 wheel drive.

I am a Rover Guy
By Rev. John E. Sowers

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

What can I say? I love this car with my whole heart. It was my dream to get a Rover and now I have it. This is not an SUV for those who really want a car. This is a go anywhere stout machine. It is a truck that rides well for a truck, but it is still a go anywhere piece. Only get this car if you have done your homework and know that this is what you want. I went in eyes open and love even the things that some will complain about.

Favorite Features

Style. Go anywhere nature. A real SUV with all the options.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage. Better turning circle.

never again
By John S

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

handling of this was good, Traction was excellent, Power was poor, Service from the MFG was unresponsive. Make sure that if you are towing that the Dealer hooks up a wiring harness. If you get any check engine lights make sure you get the codes and find out what they are. The Factory made me come back 6 times to replace the intake manifold, and over a month to fix the CD player. Every time you get in and start the unit you are reminded of the terrible placement of the ignition Key. Just could not wait to pay $80.00 dollars US for a pair of wiper Blades, the Dealer comment was that they are good wiper blades! I donít mind paying more for quality, but this is an insult

Favorite Features

The traction on bad roads was the best of any vehicle I have ever driven.

Suggested Improvements

Start over

love it
By roverdoodle

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Went from a suburban to the discovery, love it for scooting about town. Bought it used and am scared of the 60,000 mile well-baby check up cost at the dealer. Otherwise love it and won't let my husband take it off- roading just yet, still my baby, but have no fear about it's 4x4ing capabiities.

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs, radio controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, better access to backseats, cargo room