2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
Nifty SUV, But Too Uncomfortable for Me
By car reviewer on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I could not get used to the ergonomics. After owning the vehicle for less than a month, I sold it at a $3,500 loss. I am 6-2" and weigh 189 lbs. My right hip ached while driving, due to the highly angled side seat bolsters. This creates pressure on the side of your hips. The steering wheel rubbed against my right thigh, causing pressure on my knee when I pressed the brake. Once I hit both the brake and gas simultaneously. Not good ergonomics.It was fun to drive, though and looked great. I remember Billy Crystal on Saturday Night Live playing Fernando Lamas saying: "I would rather to look good than to feel good."

2002 Disco II SE
By DJ1 on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned three different types of SUVs over the past 4 years and I can honestly say that no one comes close to Land Rover. From the appearance to the sold feel, this is vehicle turns heads. I purchased my wife this vehicle with some hesitation since I was happy with my Isuzu Trooper. From the moment I took it off the lot I could tell that I was driving the "leader" in SUVs. Since I live in Colorado the winters are harsh however, my Disco has performed like a champ in both deep snow and ice. I really feel a sense of security owning this vehicle and feel safe that my wife has a very capable vehicle.

Car is a great car
By Blake LaClair on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with this car. It is a great car but the only problem is when you put gas in in it you have to screw the cap and twist it tree times making a cranking noise. If you dont do it right or it is not enought screws, so it will say service engine soon and it annoying because your not sure but eventually it will go away but besides that its a great car, thanxs

Brand new Discovery - FOR SALE !!!
By Clunk city on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

We've owned several cars both new and used and have never wanted to return one until now. The Discovery looks great (that's why we bought it) but drives terrible. The transmission is extremely clunky, it feels like it's going to fall to the ground. At 70mph an annoying whistle takes over your sanity. Dealer says "it's normal". Normal for who? Never had that problem with my Geo! It's very uncomfortable and is hard to get in and out of, especially in the back. Did I mention all the annoying noises? Never again! Only buy it if you're going to STAY offroad. It's a substandard 40k vehicle.

Disco II
By TDallas on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Solid truck, and this is a true truck with a solid ladder frame. The Disco II is built like a tank, and basically durable. ACE stinks. Loud squeaking and whining noise from ACE has caused 5 trips to the shop so far. Land Rover Dallas is very customer focused and very kind, but unable to repair the problem. Buy the Disco II WITHOUT ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement). ACE is a maintenance nightmare! I would buy another one, but no ACE.

It's Awesome!!!
By Love Driving It on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is by far the best SUV that I have owned. I went from a 2000 Montero to the 2002 Disco and have had zero regret with my decision. The Discovery feels so much more solid which translates to it feeling safer as well. It is fun to drive on a regular basis and amazing to drive on off-road. The only other SUV I would buy over this is the Land Rover Range Rover.

The CLUE
By AJUNA on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

For those who is considering buying this cehicle, or those who have purchased/leased this vehicle and complaining about difficulty getting into the rear seats - GET A CLUE!!! THIS CAR IS THE EPITOME OF A "SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLE". A simple suggestion to you all; Take this car to your nearest dirt road / construction site / ANYWHERE off the road, and GO!!!!!!!!!! After you COME OUT of the nowhere land with the now-there-is-a-path behind you, then you'd UNDERSTAND. (No, I am NOT a hunt-and-kill outdoorsy type either). GET IT???

don't be fooled by it's good looks
By buyer beware on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

this is definately a head turner and quite possibly the best looking vehicle of all the suv's. That's where it ends the interior space is not friendly for even the smallest of people. All the instruments are so ergonomically poor, you have to be a contortionist just to reach the door handle. the car has no power to speak of and whines more than a school girl when you start it up. I think its the a.c. but can't be sure. The only thing i know for sure is that the english should stick to tea and crumpets and leave the car building to japan and germany.

Surprisingly good Disco
By BLD on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I would rate it as an excellent vehicle with some faults. The Disco provides a very comfortable, smooth, stable ride. It corners well and I did not find any major quality issues with it as far as materials, paint, assembly. I rate the overall driving experience of the Disco above the Ford Bronco, Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Toyota Tundra.

Defies Status Quo with Class & Ability.
By SDR on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has proved itself to be outstanding in battling our harsh Canadian winters. The Permanent 4WD, traction control, SLS, is by far the best system we have had on any of our prior 4WD vehicles. The vehicle is not top heavy, and the ACE system is amazing. Body roll is virtually non- existent. The cabin is airy, and the ergonomics are generally well placed and easy to use. The driver seating position and vision is excellent, and the rear stadium seating is a nice feature. Reliability has been outstanding (Our LR has almost 75K and hasn't skipped a beat). We like our 2000 Disco so much, I just bought a second 2002 SEII for my wife.