2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
all around well made 4x4
By karll237 on 02/20/14 13:27 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

i have driven my dads disco before and i must say it is a blast though i am 13 and i have ridden in ti most of my life i have learned to park in this beast and have moved it in a blizzard so i just love it and the quality

please!!!!!!!!!!! don't get a discovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By jbustelo on 01/24/13 16:22 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

i researched and i i realized that the best year for the discovery was 2002, so i bought a 2002 with only 78.000 miles ( i paid ofcourse extra money for the low miles $ 9000.- for the truck.....) this was in 2011, after 4 months of using the truck and being actually happy, one day a bunch off lights turned on! so i took it to the dealership ( and also my trusted mechanic), so here it goes!!!::: ito repair the truck the cost was $ 11.250.- YES, YOU READ WRITE , ELEVEN THOUSANDS DOLLARS AND SOME CHANGE!!!!!, to make the history short, i lost the truck ( i couldnt paid for the repair and i didnt passed inspecion ( ofcourse) and i also have a REPO ON MY CREDIT REPORT, so i m just trying to help

AWESOME truck!! I love my Disco II
By mbr2ooo on 12/28/10 07:17 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it my 02 Disco in 2006 and have now owned it for almost 5 years. A lot of people complain about the repair and fuel costs on this car, and they can be high. To own one, you really have to know how to work on it, or have a very trustworthy mechanic. Luckily, I have both! The car is unbelievable off-road -- just last month, I towed a 6000 lb trailer filled with construction materials through a quarter mile of Mississippi mud... no problem. This thing is a tank and unlike any other car on the road. I have had a few repairs, but mostly normal things (window regs, radiator, coil packs) - still need to fix "3-Amigos" ... all in all, I don't care about the cost, this thing is the best!

Land Rover garbage
By 35cavalry on 03/28/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has to be the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned possibly a hundred vehicles to include European spec Fords, VWs, BMWs, Nissans and American Toyotas, Vws, Mercedes, Fiat Chevy, Ford and all manner of GM products. The Fiat gave me fits in the German mountains where I was stationed back in the early eighties, the worst car ever until I bought this pile of garbage. I happen to be an ASE auto master tech and can fix anything. God I hate this disco II

Fun to Drive, Great Off Road, Unique
By MJF on 03/03/10 14:42 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned My Disco for almost 5 years now, Have to say I still look forward to driving it every day. I have put this Rover to the test off road and it surpasses any other 4x4 I have owned. These vehicles are particular and one should know it before you own one. There are quirks that come with ALL Rovers. I have spent money on mine over the 5 years, nothing too major other than a $3k ABS module(most common)-3 Amigos. Land Rover now sells a repair kit for around $100. I have always maintained my Disco very extensively and expect to continue, they are great in the sense that you can have anything repaired on them. If considering, make sure to get 00-02 Models- more reliable. Still love it!

Disco
By Ray on 03/24/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This was one of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned, but unfortunately, the maintenance is outrageous. After spending some serious cash fixing little things I returned to a North American truck. I miss it, but not the cost. Hopefully the LR3 will make up for the Disco.

Love my Disco
By lrover on 12/21/08 11:17 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my Discovery for about a year and a half and I have had no problems at all except 2 broken window regulators. I take this thing offroad every chance I get and it can take it all. The performance definitely could be better. Its sort of quick from about 30-50 with sport mode engaged (engine sounds great at 5800 rpm). Turns heads everywhere I go. I do only drive this car about 2500 miles a year (about 500 offroad) and never a problem.

Outstanding Vehicle
By Richard on 08/18/08 17:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I don't know what all the chatter about Rover's subpar reliability is all about. This is my second Discovery - my wife totalled the first at about 70 MPH (all passengers walked away) making replacement a simple choice. This has been an incredibly reliable vehicle, on road and off. Sure, some services (particularly brakes and tires) aren't cheap, but it is the most solid vehicle I have ever driven and I am willing to pay for quality. Not a squeak or rattle in over 70K fairly hard miles. Mine has survived Hurricanes Katrina & Rita in addition to several hard Colorado winters without a whimper. Fuel economy is suboptimal, I agree - as soon as Rover addresses that, I will gladly buy another.

Does the Job!
By Steve on 07/01/08 21:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. Powered to tow, goes anywhere (literally), makes an excellent fun and work vehicle. A few issues purchasing at 58K mileage (brakes, tires,thermostat), but the price was right and it meets all of my needs.

My Disco is a great truck
By Jet on 04/11/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned and driven 4x4's for 20 years all over this country and Mexico, and my Discovery is GREAT. It's a 2002 LR Disco 2. I have a 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser which I bought new (and I still love) and the Rover is actually better off- road the Cruiser. I'll never sell either of them. I know some people have had difficulty with LR but my experience is nothing but positive. Hope this helps.