Used 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:

Tedious but worth it
By mbrosch1

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Rover (a 2002 Disco w/104k miles) but many years ago I was a BMC mechanic, so I'm not unused to the way the English build things. My Disco had an over heated engine when I gave the seller $1000 for it. I located a good short block, did the heads and Bingo!, I have a serious off road truck. Of course "bingo" didn't happen. The thing was down for 6 weeks as I worked and educated myself on the bloody thing. They things are about the most demanding of patience of any care I have ever busted a knuckle on.

Favorite Features

The Disco is very well built TRUCK. It isn't all things to all people, because compromises were made to provide a serious off-road vehicle with generally good road manners. And this isn't a Ford that you can maintain on a shoestring. If you will get the manuals and read them before during and after you do anything at all you will discover that these are extremely well engineered units and worthy of their reputation for reliability. Take short cuts and try hacking a Rover and your toast. The best word to use for them is tedious. And expensive. And tough. But worth it.

Safe, Fun, Versatile Vehicle
By robkn

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my '02 Discovery II for four years and have put 40k miles on it - now has 124K. Very comfortable and great to travel in. Safe and secure in any kind of road conditions. Have used it as a truck on the farm - had it in mud up to the hubs and never took it out of AWD high. Great styling and a tough vehicle. Only mechanical issues were cam sensor, thermostat, window motor (just took one from a rear window) and purge valve sensor - none of which were expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, styling, handling for such a big and tall vehicle, versatility, traction, good climate control system.

Suggested Improvements

Should get better fuel mileage.

It is what it is!
By Al Wayne

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I had always wanted a Land Rover (I am an outdoor wannabe!). I still would like a Defender. This truck is all I expected. It looks good and is made with typical British workmanship, put together well with parts that always seem to be a bit inferior. I used to have a Jaguar and it was the same. My only big complaint is that the brake and accelerator are too close together. I am now used to it, but anyone who uses the car fresh could be in dangerous territory. My wife let her mother drive it a short distance. She hit the brake and accelerator at the same time (with the same foot) and ran over a mini-van and a handicapped sign! Fortunately, no one was injured. I love it!

Favorite Features

Ruggedness, 4 wheel drive, and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Move brake pedal to left. Make console more user friendly. Move door lock switch to doors as it is very difficult to find in the dark. Move front windows to upper controls, rather than lower. It seems backwards.

Love My Disco II
By MG*CAT

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I wanted a Land rover Discovery since I first was one but had to wait until I could buy it at the right price. Thanks to high gas prices my time arrived. Very nice ride for a truck. This is not a sissy SUV, but one that will go almost anywhere. Parts are a bit pricey, but if you show e-bay you can find deals and new and used items.

Favorite Features

The styling is excellent. I like the dash layout and ride height. The cargo area is vast.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Split rear door. No power and a manual 6 speed tranny.

Care for a spot of tea?
By Chris

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted an LR. I have driven BMW, VOLVO, and domestic. I have not had this much fun and excitement about driving in a very long time. With some minor mods (ie) K&n air filter, you will see an increase in fuel efficiency. I swear!!! Also, I have become more outdoorsy and have developed a slight British accent, just kidding! I love this vehicle!!!

Favorite Features

All time all wheel drive, interior, exterior. I have not qualms over this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Increase ground clearance, optional on the fly 4 wheel drive.