2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
all around well made 4x4
By karll237

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

i have driven my dads disco before and i must say it is a blast though i am 13 and i have ridden in ti most of my life i have learned to park in this beast and have moved it in a blizzard so i just love it and the quality

please!!!!!!!!!!! don't get a discovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By jbustelo

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

i researched and i i realized that the best year for the discovery was 2002, so i bought a 2002 with only 78.000 miles ( i paid ofcourse extra money for the low miles $ 9000.- for the truck.....) this was in 2011, after 4 months of using the truck and being actually happy, one day a bunch off lights turned on! so i took it to the dealership ( and also my trusted mechanic), so here it goes!!!::: ito repair the truck the cost was $ 11.250.- YES, YOU READ WRITE , ELEVEN THOUSANDS DOLLARS AND SOME CHANGE!!!!!, to make the history short, i lost the truck ( i couldnt paid for the repair and i didnt passed inspecion ( ofcourse) and i also have a REPO ON MY CREDIT REPORT, so i m just trying to help

Tedious but worth it
By mbrosch1

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Rover (a 2002 Disco w/104k miles) but many years ago I was a BMC mechanic, so I'm not unused to the way the English build things. My Disco had an over heated engine when I gave the seller $1000 for it. I located a good short block, did the heads and Bingo!, I have a serious off road truck. Of course "bingo" didn't happen. The thing was down for 6 weeks as I worked and educated myself on the bloody thing. They things are about the most demanding of patience of any care I have ever busted a knuckle on.

Favorite Features

The Disco is very well built TRUCK. It isn't all things to all people, because compromises were made to provide a serious off-road vehicle with generally good road manners. And this isn't a Ford that you can maintain on a shoestring. If you will get the manuals and read them before during and after you do anything at all you will discover that these are extremely well engineered units and worthy of their reputation for reliability. Take short cuts and try hacking a Rover and your toast. The best word to use for them is tedious. And expensive. And tough. But worth it.

Safe, Fun, Versatile Vehicle
By robkn

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my '02 Discovery II for four years and have put 40k miles on it - now has 124K. Very comfortable and great to travel in. Safe and secure in any kind of road conditions. Have used it as a truck on the farm - had it in mud up to the hubs and never took it out of AWD high. Great styling and a tough vehicle. Only mechanical issues were cam sensor, thermostat, window motor (just took one from a rear window) and purge valve sensor - none of which were expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, styling, handling for such a big and tall vehicle, versatility, traction, good climate control system.

Suggested Improvements

Should get better fuel mileage.

AWESOME truck!! I love my Disco II
By mbr2ooo

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it my 02 Disco in 2006 and have now owned it for almost 5 years. A lot of people complain about the repair and fuel costs on this car, and they can be high. To own one, you really have to know how to work on it, or have a very trustworthy mechanic. Luckily, I have both! The car is unbelievable off-road -- just last month, I towed a 6000 lb trailer filled with construction materials through a quarter mile of Mississippi mud... no problem. This thing is a tank and unlike any other car on the road. I have had a few repairs, but mostly normal things (window regs, radiator, coil packs) - still need to fix "3-Amigos" ... all in all, I don't care about the cost, this thing is the best!

Favorite Features

Off-road capability and tow capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Where to start... these things definitely are not fuel friendly and certainly have some maintenance issues... but good things always come at a price!! ha

Land Rover garbage
By 35cavalry

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has to be the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned possibly a hundred vehicles to include European spec Fords, VWs, BMWs, Nissans and American Toyotas, Vws, Mercedes, Fiat Chevy, Ford and all manner of GM products. The Fiat gave me fits in the German mountains where I was stationed back in the early eighties, the worst car ever until I bought this pile of garbage. I happen to be an ASE auto master tech and can fix anything. God I hate this disco II

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Stick a rag in the gas filler neck and light it.

Fun to Drive, Great Off Road, Unique
By MJF

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned My Disco for almost 5 years now, Have to say I still look forward to driving it every day. I have put this Rover to the test off road and it surpasses any other 4x4 I have owned. These vehicles are particular and one should know it before you own one. There are quirks that come with ALL Rovers. I have spent money on mine over the 5 years, nothing too major other than a $3k ABS module(most common)-3 Amigos. Land Rover now sells a repair kit for around $100. I have always maintained my Disco very extensively and expect to continue, they are great in the sense that you can have anything repaired on them. If considering, make sure to get 00-02 Models- more reliable. Still love it!

Favorite Features

Fun to Drive, knowing you can go just about anywhere-Off Road Ability, Styling, Uniqueness,

Suggested Improvements

Headliner Falls Down- All Discoverys, CD Changer under Pass Seat, Fender Flares Fade-All Discos, Dual Roofs don't open very far,comes with Class III Hitch but no trailer wiring.

Disco
By Ray

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This was one of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned, but unfortunately, the maintenance is outrageous. After spending some serious cash fixing little things I returned to a North American truck. I miss it, but not the cost. Hopefully the LR3 will make up for the Disco.

Favorite Features

Interior and 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Keep it simple, it is over engineered

Love my Disco
By lrover

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my Discovery for about a year and a half and I have had no problems at all except 2 broken window regulators. I take this thing offroad every chance I get and it can take it all. The performance definitely could be better. Its sort of quick from about 30-50 with sport mode engaged (engine sounds great at 5800 rpm). Turns heads everywhere I go. I do only drive this car about 2500 miles a year (about 500 offroad) and never a problem.

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs, 2 speed transfer case, interior design

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, more power, recall the 2 front window regulators

It is what it is!
By Al Wayne

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I had always wanted a Land Rover (I am an outdoor wannabe!). I still would like a Defender. This truck is all I expected. It looks good and is made with typical British workmanship, put together well with parts that always seem to be a bit inferior. I used to have a Jaguar and it was the same. My only big complaint is that the brake and accelerator are too close together. I am now used to it, but anyone who uses the car fresh could be in dangerous territory. My wife let her mother drive it a short distance. She hit the brake and accelerator at the same time (with the same foot) and ran over a mini-van and a handicapped sign! Fortunately, no one was injured. I love it!

Favorite Features

Ruggedness, 4 wheel drive, and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Move brake pedal to left. Make console more user friendly. Move door lock switch to doors as it is very difficult to find in the dark. Move front windows to upper controls, rather than lower. It seems backwards.