2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
Tedious but worth it
By mbrosch1 on 01/24/13 07:05 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Rover (a 2002 Disco w/104k miles) but many years ago I was a BMC mechanic, so I'm not unused to the way the English build things. My Disco had an over heated engine when I gave the seller $1000 for it. I located a good short block, did the heads and Bingo!, I have a serious off road truck. Of course "bingo" didn't happen. The thing was down for 6 weeks as I worked and educated myself on the bloody thing. They things are about the most demanding of patience of any care I have ever busted a knuckle on.

Safe, Fun, Versatile Vehicle
By robkn on 12/13/11 07:12 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my '02 Discovery II for four years and have put 40k miles on it - now has 124K. Very comfortable and great to travel in. Safe and secure in any kind of road conditions. Have used it as a truck on the farm - had it in mud up to the hubs and never took it out of AWD high. Great styling and a tough vehicle. Only mechanical issues were cam sensor, thermostat, window motor (just took one from a rear window) and purge valve sensor - none of which were expensive to fix.

It is what it is!
By Al Wayne on 10/16/08 08:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I had always wanted a Land Rover (I am an outdoor wannabe!). I still would like a Defender. This truck is all I expected. It looks good and is made with typical British workmanship, put together well with parts that always seem to be a bit inferior. I used to have a Jaguar and it was the same. My only big complaint is that the brake and accelerator are too close together. I am now used to it, but anyone who uses the car fresh could be in dangerous territory. My wife let her mother drive it a short distance. She hit the brake and accelerator at the same time (with the same foot) and ran over a mini-van and a handicapped sign! Fortunately, no one was injured. I love it!

Love My Disco II
By MG*CAT on 08/07/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I wanted a Land rover Discovery since I first was one but had to wait until I could buy it at the right price. Thanks to high gas prices my time arrived. Very nice ride for a truck. This is not a sissy SUV, but one that will go almost anywhere. Parts are a bit pricey, but if you show e-bay you can find deals and new and used items.

Care for a spot of tea?
By Chris on 03/14/06 16:07 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted an LR. I have driven BMW, VOLVO, and domestic. I have not had this much fun and excitement about driving in a very long time. With some minor mods (ie) K&n air filter, you will see an increase in fuel efficiency. I swear!!! Also, I have become more outdoorsy and have developed a slight British accent, just kidding! I love this vehicle!!!

Land Rover: no excuses necessary
By S Rice on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

A great 4WD vehicle, no excuses or apologies accompany this truck. Plenty of power on tap, build quality and fit and finish are excellent. Full time AWD/4WD systems takes to all driving surfaces without user input. My SD model has all the needed accesories such as dual digital climate control, electric seats, windows, and remote locks standard. I did add a towing hitch, which is standard on the SE. Very solid feeling during driving and manuevering, not at all sloppy. Rear seats fold easily to expand cargo room.

A sound buy.
By Don McClelland on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle is a sound buy, not as expensive as you first think. It is reliable and does the job, just needing a dealership visit for the service program.

The CLUE
By AJUNA on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

For those who is considering buying this cehicle, or those who have purchased/leased this vehicle and complaining about difficulty getting into the rear seats - GET A CLUE!!! THIS CAR IS THE EPITOME OF A "SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLE". A simple suggestion to you all; Take this car to your nearest dirt road / construction site / ANYWHERE off the road, and GO!!!!!!!!!! After you COME OUT of the nowhere land with the now-there-is-a-path behind you, then you'd UNDERSTAND. (No, I am NOT a hunt-and-kill outdoorsy type either). GET IT???

Great SUV
By Jason332 on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever owned. This SUV can do anything u can imagine. The interior design of the car is flawless. If you take a lot of trips with the family this is definitly the SUV for you. The premium navigation and sound system is amazing. Don't hesitate to buy this car. Besides a small problem with the rear cup holders this car has been very easy to own and operate.

LR Disco ll is the best in it's class!
By MATTEO on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This new sexy SUV is invigorating to drive. The off-road capabilities are end-less, yet on the road or hopping around town it rides like a luxury car. The comfort level is amazing! When I drive, I feel like I am flying in first- class. It is a great road-car. When my family drives to Vermont every year, the car is greta to have in the snow. The looks of the Disco ll are spectacular. This review can go on and on about how good the Land Rover Discover Series 2.