I bought this to go four wheeling with..
By Uriah on
2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)
I looked around to buy this specific Land Rover. I wanted coil springs and solid (live) axles on both ends as I like to go four wheeling. I also wanted one I could easily hook a CLD up (center locking dif-transfercase) to make four wheeling a little better. The Hill Descent Control works well, it'll let you crawl off a STEEP mountain by using the ABS, you don't have to touch anything. Being it didn't have a CLD from the factory, it uses traction control to make the four wheel drive work, and it does fine, although it's less of a sure feeling then a true locking transfercase would be. It's one of the best STOCK four wheel drives you can get to go in the dirt.
Favorite Features
There is a common misconnection because it's a Land Rover, it's a luxery SUV. It is not. While it might have a few luxery items and a leather interior it's far from a true luxery SUV. If you want one of those buy a RANGE ROVER or one of the competitors.
Suggested Improvements
The power is not great. They use a old Buick v8 from the 60s (updated) and they suck gas. Mine does about 15.5 which is really good for one, still not saying much when you can get a somewhat comparable Ford Explorer v8 that does way better. Reliable?, no, it's British.