2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
36000 going great
By Fx handy on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased new with the brush bars and lights. I do a lot of highway driving, and have been very pleased with the overall performance. Am considering replacing it next year. The few things that bug me are the gas mielage 15 to 16 miles per is it. The seats could be better, and the center dash layout with the cup holders is not good. The one thing Land Rover gives me is the total freedom to go anywhere, no matter what the conditions are. If you understand the mileage thing and the interior needs you will be pleased.

So Far So Good
By Briannsac on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Only had the vehicle for a month now but really like it. Bought it certified so it's been great so far. Glad I got the performance package - a big plus on the handling. The gas mileage is as bad as I expected so no suprises good or bad.

Great
By Jennifer Greyard on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Don't expect a Lexus ride with this truck. She is amazing in the snow, heavy rain etc. You feel very safe- however any more than four people will be very cramped. The cup holders leave the radio and all temp controls unusable. Quirky placement of controls are annoying.Gas cap and glove compartment latches fail ALOT! Would buy again-not for a family.

I love my Truck
By Katra on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

So fun off road you can go through anything and the gel coat keeps branches from scratching the paint. Long trips are a great ride from the front seat, back seat is VERY unconfortable for adults.Great stereo, 6 change cd player. Sunroofs rock ! Feels so safe with my kid and dogs, surfboards, mountian bikes & kayaks.

Not too bad, so far.
By SCV Atlanta on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I just rolled over 30K miles. So far so good. I've got the usual beefs about mileage and performance, but so far, nothing major. Quality of workmanship is below that of most Japanese made, but well about every American auto I have owned. The only other downside is the tremendous drop in value since I bought it. Really, the wholesale on my 2001 Disco SE with SLS is about $21,000. OUCH!

Why drive a Jeep
By Muddy rover on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I'm very happy with my disco. I hope FORD doesn't mess with Disco and give it IFS/IRS like the explorder.

Love it Hate it
By LoveHate on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I really want to love this vehicle, I really do, but I rarely have a decent stretch of trouble-free miles to feel good about it. Front turn signals and fog lights fill up with water. Rear hatch components corroded. Windshield washer nozzle is corroding and leaving rusty water residue on my hood. Air conditioner drains are always plugged, drenching carpets. Underdash panels fall down. The air suspension warning light goes on and off randomly. Had an air suspension leak that my dealer told me didn't exist. Every few days the vehicle would list to one side. It's fundamentally rugged, but you will be driven nuts by the little things.

Depreciation of Discovery
By D. Bailey on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

The Discovery was a purchase that I thought over long and hard. The vehicle was bought in March and I traded it in July for a more fuel efficient vehicle. Upon trading the Discovery I learned that I had lost over $7000.00 in the short time that I had the Discovery. Overall the Discovery is a good vehicle for someone that is not concerned with the high maintenance costs, terrible fuel mileage, and finally a horrific low trade-in or resale value.

Great SUV, not like the generic pretend
By David M. Wronski on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Disco now for 18 months and absolutely love it. It's a true SUV, not a 'wan-a-bee' like a lot of the 'others' out there. Great off road handling and pulling power for towing a trailer. Fun to drive around town also, and the good thing is, not everyone has one. I will buy another.

ok but could improve
By Car lover on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

easy to drive for a SUV