Used 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:

Never again.
By Screwface

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this usedwith low miles. In 4 months I have replaced the head gasket, wiper knob, and front drive shaft for a total of $3000. Now they want $1700 for a new water pump. I've owned just about every make of vehicle and I can honestly say this is by far the worst ever. I'm getting an Acura MDX.

Cool design and great off road.

Awful mileage and breaks down every month.

But I STILL love my Rover
By Ciara

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Yes, expensive to own. But look at the positives: Unique styling - especially when every other SUV on the road looks the same. Safety - not only do you feel safe, you are safe.The Engine and Powertrain will never fail you. The downside? $520.00 to repair the driver side window. Premium gasoline only. Expensive and almost monthly "little" repair issues. If you have a second vehicle as back up then you're okay. All in all, they are a dream to drive, but definitely a labor of love. Towing our travel trailer is not a problem at all. I recommend that you buy one, knowing that there will be small issues with them, but these days, it's all about keeping your family safe on the road.

Looks good, great visibility, great off roading, and the double sun roofs

Better fuel mileage.

Unreliable Tank
By C&M

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

The SUV is a tank in the snow and is comfortable to drive on long or short drives. MPG around 11-14. Slow for a V8. It was just very unreliable. Bought it with under 50K & it was problem afetr problem. Very expensive to fix! Sold It!

Comfort & looks. Rain & snow performance.

Reliability!

Worst Car Ever Built
By Rick Adams

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd discovery. My first was an engineering nightmare. My wife insisted after owning our 1995 for 6 years, we purchase a new Discovery because "I know they're much better now". Our 2001 was even worse. at 64,000 miles we replaced the drive shaft, $1,200. body parts falling off, $300. Head gaskets replaced, 1,400. Power window stuck down, $200. It's about worthless to trade in so I'm stuck with it.

Good visibility

Make the doors open wide enough to get in. Make the car reliable.

2001 LR D2
By Abrenner

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this LR for 5 years now. Never had any major mechanical problems. Great acceleration and handling for such a large vehicle. Caveats are turning radius and braking. Built and feels solid. Most comfortable truck I ever owned. While somewhat pricey, I plan to buy another soon for my wife and keep this one until it dies out.

Seating feels high but easy to get into (vehicle actually is lower to ground than most other SUVs).

Better turning radius.