2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
For what its worth
By Blake on 12/14/09 06:51 AM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck from my uncle's dealership in Oklahoma while living out west of Phoenix Arizona. Did environmental work on an abandoned gold mine and wanted a truck to hold all my gear and make the experience fun. The truck is a beast when it comes to repairs, but nothing can match the unique style and upgrade abilities of a Land Rover. I have suspension work, racks, tires, and a whole list of additional upgrades. "Stella" might be a pain sometimes, but she gets the job done when I need her to. I live in a cabin in the woods of North Texas now and couldn't imagine not having my Rover. I am welding a new bumper for her right now. I'll drive her till she dies, then throw in a diesel!

A Beast
By Ncredible on 08/25/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Really didn't know much about a good deal from a buddy w/a dealership, However pleasantly surprised and have been down the premium expense isle to service it. I'm getting 17 mpg with 160k miles because I added a hydrogen generator cell on and the power this setup has added is STUPID to say the least. I am a kid in a candy shop with the added performance in horsepower so like I read in other reviews I'm going Disco until it dies. Oh Yeah I did have a head gasket leak and then it sealed itself up but after reading some reviews I'll replace it anyway other than that the truck is a beast!

Hey... its a Rover.
By Blake on 07/13/09 05:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Picked the truck up from my uncle while trying to find a Jeep I liked. Went in knowing the repairs would be expensive. With all the performance upgrades and off roading accessories, I just couldn't say know. Had do drop around 4 grand on the truck after working on the drive shafts, brakes, and cat converter. Spent even more on the suspension, rack, lights, tires and so on. Bottom line is this: The truck can go everywhere I want it to and offers more room and better storage than the Jeep would have. It's an expensive truck, but I like having the Land Rover history under my while I trail drive. Plus, you can't beat the look of a dressed up Rover.

I'll never buy another one
By ericapb on 12/08/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

The maintenance on the Discovery has been a pain and extremely expensive. I bought the extended warranty for $2,200 and it has already paid for itself 3 times over. When the warranty runs out, I will be trading that car in as fast as possible. Plus the mileage is horrible (11 city, 13 highway on a good day) and the fact that it takes ONLY premium gas makes it much more expensive. Even if you try to put in Plus gas for one tank, the car starts vibrating. All in all, the car was not what I expected from a brand of cars that considers itself LUXURY.

More than I expected
By c2sox on 03/05/02 13:43 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV SD 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a pleasant surprise, I knew what I was getting into when we puchased this vehicle. I have to admit I was apprehensive at first, with all the negative remarks that I've heard and read anyone would. But since day one this rig has been a pleasure to drive, she gives me confidence everywhere I go. Yes she has some quirks but what vehicles don't. The build quality is excellent, though it did help that German quality control was at hand with the BMW ownership.