Used 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE SUV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV - Consumer Reviews

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:

great off road vehicle
By Hector

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

It's a great off road vehicle with allot of power, expensive parts but if you are handy with tools it's ok. I replaced my head gaskets for about 220 plus 100 for the head rectifying. Replaced a leaking power steering pump gasket with regular gasket making cardboard, instead of buying the factory gasket and still hasn't leaked.

overpriced tupperware
By whisperingsage

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

We paid $10,000 used , not knowing this was a 'status symbol' car. Sorry we are socially impaired. Amazed at how it could be covered in mud and dust just from normal use (we live in the desert) and still get ooohs and ahhhs over it. Weird we thought.

It doesn't handle ice puddles, those broke out the bumper and the fog lights, it doesn't handle a real good ice. Granted it didn't have studs which would help any car, but it sat in the even driveway (no hills) and spun and refused to budge to get me get out of 3 inch snow turned to ice. Since this is why i bought the car, i was very unhappy.

Parts are not simply a "little high" they are a nightmare. A plastic thermostat was $80.

None, I'd like to finish my complaints here. Instead of rubber hoses for coolant, it has thin plastic which breaks down and causes holes which blows the fluid out- And ended up ruining my motor from a leak out of the overflow tank. (that may have a better name i don't know). Ruined from heat from coolant leaks. This seemed to be a perpetual problem. For a $40,00 car, we were not impressed. Plastic bumper, plastic light housings that break under rattling roads, finding a land rover mechanic very hard, wiring for trailer lights a nightmare, brake parts fell off from bumpy roads, we live on bumpy roads so, come on. Why can't it handle that?

Motor itself was good- naturally reburned unburned fuel in the exhaust system from my understanding. This particular car got good gas mileage and burned very clean. Needs better body, more metal, thicker metal, less plastic, metal bumpers, no plastic bumpers. That is ridiculous. Also needs to be wider- bought for carrying 7 people, well, if they were all children or midgets. Not very comfortable for us fat butted adults. No room for coats or food or purses. Unless we two are all alone. Needs normal width tires, these very wide tires pull us all over the road especially patched roads . Be prepared to be pulled over for weaving.

2001 LR D2
By Abrenner

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this LR for 5 years now. Never had any major mechanical problems. Great acceleration and handling for such a large vehicle. Caveats are turning radius and braking. Built and feels solid. Most comfortable truck I ever owned. While somewhat pricey, I plan to buy another soon for my wife and keep this one until it dies out.

Seating feels high but easy to get into (vehicle actually is lower to ground than most other SUVs).

Better turning radius.

The Best SUV
By Ana Paula D

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. Great all weather and fun to drive. After a car accident few years ago, I was not feeling safe inside a car anymore, but with this car I'm having so much fun driving it and also feel very secure. Live it, love it, love it. Never going back to any other maker, that's for sure.

None

None

Great
By Jennifer Greyard

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Don't expect a Lexus ride with this
truck. She is amazing in the snow,
heavy rain etc. You feel very safe-
however any more than four people will
be very cramped. The cup holders
leave the radio and all temp controls
unusable. Quirky placement of controls
are annoying.Gas cap and glove
compartment latches fail ALOT! Would
buy again-not for a family.

roll bars-solid beams (not c-beams) amazing 4wd. Stadium seating in back.

better cup holders, common sense controls, Make it a bit wider for people with familys.