2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
I must have the best Disco
By aerialhunter on 02/24/13 12:48 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have 190k on my Disco2 and other than normal maintenance issues this vehicle is great. It is my daily driver at 60 miles/day. It does terrific in snow and ice from a driving perspective with the exception of stopping....This beast goes anywhere. For those of you that are mechanically inclined, once you get below the skin, you'll appreciate the "beefiness" of the materials used and the quality of the bolts/fasteners. It is built like a machine. Don't know why so many people dislike this vehicle, but mine is great.

Off-Roader
By offroad87 on 01/05/13 17:57 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car mainly to go off-roading. Lifted it 3" and put some 33" tires. I could see why people don't like their Disco's. It only gives about 14 mpg, prone to overheating and needing new heads or motor, bad turning radius, and a rattle here and there. I would not buy this car to drive around town. LR3's and LR4's are a very different story. They have improved and are very reliable. Once the Disco is off-roading the truck seems to be in the place it was designed to be.

too small
By n8webb on 06/13/12 09:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Small interior. bad gas mileage. Long turn-radius. Electrical issues. Minor and major engine issues. The list goes on and on. I felt sorry selling it to someone.

My favorite truck
By jacquesh on 01/27/12 09:59 AM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck since new. My only regret is the resale value is poor, I'm only selling mine to get a newer RangeRover The 2001 Disco is at an great buy, provided you do your homework. The price is low because dealer service and parts are expensive, and everthing about the thing is complicated so you need a good mechanic. Be sure you get detailed service records to be sure it is in good shape. There are things that go wrong with any old SUV, like main seals and head gasket and tranny, good maint is the key to avoid these. Take care to check the Disco drivetrain to be sure it isn't ready to go. If you choose well you will get the best 4x4 ever for a great price.

I liked it..
By mylandy on 12/31/10 12:03 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I loved it... I would say it was in the shop twice a year for something, but I loved it until it, quite literally burst into flames after getting stuck in a snow drift. Apparently there was a recall for the same symptoms but didnt apply to mine. Have to say that the lady at land rover was very polite and wished me a 'better day' but I am more than marginally concerned at the complete lack of concern shown by land rover.

It isnt all bad
By smalltownhound on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first foreign car ever; I recently sold my 3rd Gen Camaro for this truck. I have owned her for about 3 months and have put well over 5,000 miles on her. Yes, parts are a bit more expensive so do some research online for different parts and see if it is up to your budget. If not, than this vehicle isn’t going to be for you anyways. It has many quirky buttons, positions of where the buttons are and there are some interesting flaws of the design. However, for the size of the vehicle it’s not all bad and it does handle much better than other SUVs I have owned in the past. It’s a great truck, but I would bet that a person who knows about working on cars may enjoy it more like me!

AHHH!
By donewithrover on 02/20/10 17:50 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This car is absolutely ridiculous. The gas mileage is dismal at best, the V8 has no power, and things keep going wrong. This was a bad decision. And its not big stuff- electrical problems, seats won't raise, sunroof stuck, engine vibration. But it's so hard to diagnose and expensive to fix!!! Run away!

An SUV you can actually take off road
By tuckerlan on 11/16/09 20:56 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Hello all- I purchased my discovery used (which I highly recommedn given the resale value). Land Rovers usually get torched by automotive magazines and cosumer reports, but my experience has been the complete opposite. This vehicle has all of the interior luxury you need with a unique body style. It has the british quirkiness but handles like a champ off road. It drives much like a truck on the road but handles suprisingly well for it's dimensions and heighth. I live near Tahoe and have driven it everywhere and back with and the beast does not flinch in snow or mud. Truly amazing experience in bad weather. I would recommend this vehicle to a friend or family member! Very safe and reliable!!

ROVER LOVER
By JOAN OF ARC on 09/30/09 15:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Discovery.I had a 1996.I drove it from San Diego,Ca. to Shreveport,La. 4 times round trip. I bought it used in Birmingham ,Al. The same day a tornado hit the area,I drove through tornado winds,and rain back to Shreveport,La .The vehicle held the road perfectly.Years later I saw Michael Douglas in a Discovery 2 in the film "Don't Say a Word" and found the exact same one used.It's got the same beautiful gold paint.It turns heads everywhere I go.I put 18" chrome Mizotti rims and Falken tires on it.It's an expensive toy,but it looks and rides like you are royalty.

2001 Discovery
By jmacs555 on 09/27/09 15:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This car is awesome!!! I haven't owned it for very long, but it's incredibly fun to drive. I don't know why people complain about routine maintenance- I did a simple oil change today with no problems. It performs well, its smooth, and its a TANK! I wish that the lights on my dash would go off, but it doesn't affect anything. Overall, a recommended vehicle if you have a little extra money for upkeep when miles get high.

1 2 3 4 5 next »