2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:
overpriced tupperware
By whisperingsage on 09/04/11 20:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

We paid $10,000 used , not knowing this was a 'status symbol' car. Sorry we are socially impaired. Amazed at how it could be covered in mud and dust just from normal use (we live in the desert) and still get ooohs and ahhhs over it. Weird we thought. It doesn't handle ice puddles, those broke out the bumper and the fog lights, it doesn't handle a real good ice. Granted it didn't have studs which would help any car, but it sat in the even driveway (no hills) and spun and refused to budge to get me get out of 3 inch snow turned to ice. Since this is why i bought the car, i was very unhappy. Parts are not simply a "little high" they are a nightmare. A plastic thermostat was $80.

2001 LR D2
By Abrenner on 08/23/07 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this LR for 5 years now. Never had any major mechanical problems. Great acceleration and handling for such a large vehicle. Caveats are turning radius and braking. Built and feels solid. Most comfortable truck I ever owned. While somewhat pricey, I plan to buy another soon for my wife and keep this one until it dies out.

The Best SUV
By Ana Paula D on 05/24/07 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. Great all weather and fun to drive. After a car accident few years ago, I was not feeling safe inside a car anymore, but with this car I'm having so much fun driving it and also feel very secure. Live it, love it, love it. Never going back to any other maker, that's for sure.

Great
By Jennifer Greyard on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Don't expect a Lexus ride with this truck. She is amazing in the snow, heavy rain etc. You feel very safe- however any more than four people will be very cramped. The cup holders leave the radio and all temp controls unusable. Quirky placement of controls are annoying.Gas cap and glove compartment latches fail ALOT! Would buy again-not for a family.

Love it Hate it
By LoveHate on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I really want to love this vehicle, I really do, but I rarely have a decent stretch of trouble-free miles to feel good about it. Front turn signals and fog lights fill up with water. Rear hatch components corroded. Windshield washer nozzle is corroding and leaving rusty water residue on my hood. Air conditioner drains are always plugged, drenching carpets. Underdash panels fall down. The air suspension warning light goes on and off randomly. Had an air suspension leak that my dealer told me didn't exist. Every few days the vehicle would list to one side. It's fundamentally rugged, but you will be driven nuts by the little things.

My 2001 Land Rover Disco II LE7
By Rick R on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I'll keep this short. If you're looking for nearly the best vehicle off-road, this is your truck. However, if you have more money, you should seek a Range Rover. Whatever type of Land Rover vehicle you own, make sure your wallet can handle it. With expensive repairs (My front cup-holders were $73 to have replaced), poor gas mileage and a "boxy" body, it can cause quite a dent in your finances. All and all, if you have the money and want a vehicle that you can "show off" by being different, this is a great choice.