2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (78 reviews )
large call small comfort
By franklyns on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

great performance & luxury but had little room inside to spread out. back seats cramped even for small children, forget about that infant seat. turn it sideways to get it in!!!Car drives very well you can run over anything, but the turning ratio stinks, use 10 point turns to change directions.

Great SUV
By Snowman_40214 on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I don't know what everybody think. For me, this is a good SUV. I tried Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 Runner, Honda Passport before I decide to buy this SUV. It's strong and very comfortable. If you want a real SUV, Land Rover Discovery II is the one you should pick.

My 2000 Disco II saved my life!
By toddarino on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

No kidding. I rolled it 60 feet down a ridge in the Santa Cruz mountains and totalled it. Walked away without a scratch. Would I buy one again? I'm shopping for it right now!

hard to beat
By oliver986 on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

you can tell bmw had control of rover for a while- my disco has been very dependable. everything has worked well; i had a couple of delivery defects but since then - basically great. no rattles at all. it does ride like a truck - it is not cushy - and i would love to have the new 2003 model with an additional 35 hp - but all in all- i cannot come up with another suv i'd rather have. the handling with the ace performance package is amazing! it handles like my boxster- well almost! the service at fmw in natick is marginal but the service at lr hanover is exceptional! they treat me like royalty and i did not even buy the car there!

Unreliable and Not Worth The Bother
By Burned on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I thought the LR Discovery was the answer to not wanting to drive a wagon, or a bus type SUV, however, Discovery has little "get up and go", is frequently in the shop, either for a recall, or to address some other annoying problem. I did not find replacing all brakes within the first 19K miles a sign of a well designed car, (for $1,400)and didn't appreciate the service manager jeering at my surprise at how often the car was in the shop. I was told all LR owners know they are supper expensive to maintain, and that you need a standby car, or second LR to fill the gap. I don't need another car (truck) like this one.

Happy, Happy, Happy
By Jimmmy Jam on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased this truck with caution because of some reliability questions from reviewers. Well, I can say that this truck has been in the shop for only regular service intervals(over 30,000 miles on the clock). I had an Explorer and boy was that a piece of #%$ %. I am very happy with this truck and it is what I expected and more. You can't ask a legit truck to perform like anything other than a truck. If you want a car, buy a car. I would definately reccomend it and would buy again.

Very Happy
By Hess on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have been very happy with my vehicle. I never expected a Land Rover to be so affordable.

Not as bad as its reputation
By carzilla on 03/06/02 00:45 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I felt this car had the best interior and 4wd system for the money when I purchased it. We have taken it off-road five times in two years and it does perform well. It is quite a bit less competent on-road and the seating position is noticably crampt for my 6'3" frame. Overall, it has been a car that I like due to a solid feel that transcends its old design and flaws.