2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (78 reviews )
A Great Machine to Love
By stillwater on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I owned a Discovery Series II (SE7) for two years. It was one of the most satisfying vehicles I have ever owned. This was a truely rugged machine. LR made the vehicle tough, I had my family (two young sons and pregnate wife) in it when a drunk driver ran us off the road (it wound up rolling because of a blown tire) but the rugged chasis and roll cage along with seatbelts saved everyone. We came out with a few scratched and bruises...but walked away! I would have bought another one, except I just needed a larger vehicle now and the larger 03 design is not out yet.

Great SUV
By Snowman_40214 on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I don't know what everybody think. For me, this is a good SUV. I tried Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 Runner, Honda Passport before I decide to buy this SUV. It's strong and very comfortable. If you want a real SUV, Land Rover Discovery II is the one you should pick.

My 2000 Disco II saved my life!
By toddarino on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

No kidding. I rolled it 60 feet down a ridge in the Santa Cruz mountains and totalled it. Walked away without a scratch. Would I buy one again? I'm shopping for it right now!

hard to beat
By oliver986 on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

you can tell bmw had control of rover for a while- my disco has been very dependable. everything has worked well; i had a couple of delivery defects but since then - basically great. no rattles at all. it does ride like a truck - it is not cushy - and i would love to have the new 2003 model with an additional 35 hp - but all in all- i cannot come up with another suv i'd rather have. the handling with the ace performance package is amazing! it handles like my boxster- well almost! the service at fmw in natick is marginal but the service at lr hanover is exceptional! they treat me like royalty and i did not even buy the car there!

Unreliable and Not Worth The Bother
By Burned on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I thought the LR Discovery was the answer to not wanting to drive a wagon, or a bus type SUV, however, Discovery has little "get up and go", is frequently in the shop, either for a recall, or to address some other annoying problem. I did not find replacing all brakes within the first 19K miles a sign of a well designed car, (for $1,400)and didn't appreciate the service manager jeering at my surprise at how often the car was in the shop. I was told all LR owners know they are supper expensive to maintain, and that you need a standby car, or second LR to fill the gap. I don't need another car (truck) like this one.

Happy, Happy, Happy
By Jimmmy Jam on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased this truck with caution because of some reliability questions from reviewers. Well, I can say that this truck has been in the shop for only regular service intervals(over 30,000 miles on the clock). I had an Explorer and boy was that a piece of #%$ %. I am very happy with this truck and it is what I expected and more. You can't ask a legit truck to perform like anything other than a truck. If you want a car, buy a car. I would definately reccomend it and would buy again.

Very Happy
By Hess on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have been very happy with my vehicle. I never expected a Land Rover to be so affordable.

Not as bad as its reputation
By carzilla on 03/06/02 00:45 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I felt this car had the best interior and 4wd system for the money when I purchased it. We have taken it off-road five times in two years and it does perform well. It is quite a bit less competent on-road and the seating position is noticably crampt for my 6'3" frame. Overall, it has been a car that I like due to a solid feel that transcends its old design and flaws.