2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews 7

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (79 reviews )
It's a keeper!
By BVL on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I leased this car in June 2000 and have decided to buy it at lease end. The only "problem" was getting new brakes and rotors at 23,000 miles, but that's expected when you live in a hilly town like San Francisco. The scheduled maintenance is fantastic. There are rough roads in SF, so I am amazed that there aren't more rattles and squeaks. The dealer is excellent and though I realize that parts and such might cost more than other makes, the track record so far offers comfort that these inevitabilities will be worth it.

Part II (see review from last year)
By carzilla on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

OK, I admit I was wrong. I was so glad to turn this car back in on a 3 year lease I did a happy dance. If you are over 6' do not even think about this car. My back hurt every night for years after the :30 commute home. Other issues: blown head gasket at 30k miles, dead alternator, took 3 months to get repair parts from England after a minor wreck.

Disco
By marigg on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

My wife won our 2000 Land Rover Discovery. My father drove a Land Rover in Western Colorado in the 1960's; never thought I'd own one - had been driving sports cars, but this vehicle is great: stopped me from being a lead foot. No major quality problems, 28k miles in three years, dealer is great, maintenance prices are reasonable for an upscale vehicle.

Land Rover Discovery 2002
By Sir Paul on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Noises and constantly breaking plastics plague the enjoyment of this vehicle. Windscreen wipers supplied by Land Rover do not last long and need constant replacement. Road holding is best in category and drives very well compared to US made vehicles. Sound is not kept our very well and noises inside originate from heating and other items that loosen. Looks great but dirt from breaks is a big problem.

overrated
By George Moore on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Plagued with defects and problems. Has needed new thermostat, fuel pump, front and rear brakes and rotors, headgaskets, etc. Extremely expensive to repair, parts availability has been problemmatic, repairs take a LONG time. Once the warrranty is over, you pay through the nose. Do not keep past warranty if you are foolish enough to want one.

Buying at end of lease
By terrific4threeyears on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

It's odd to read other reviews stating reliability problems; I've had mine for 35 months and other than scheduled maintenance it's not been in the shop (I've got 65,000 miles on it). Above and beyond classic styling both inside and out, it's very well built. My wife and 2 year old son were rear-ended at a dead stop by a school bus doing 15 mph and the only damage was a scratched spare tire rim - nobody hurt. I'm so pleased with it I've decided to buy it at the end of the lease; it's as much fun to drive today as the day I leased it.

chucks
By chucks truck on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

great truck rides great great looking look out on the gas about 15 to 16 mpg

Can't top this one!
By Rover on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

38,000 miles without a problem, and still drives like new.....solid, no squeaks or rattles. The truck has a heck of a reputation, but mine has been fantastic and bullet proof. Has anyone looked into an Explorere or a Grand Cherokee and compared?? Not even close on interior quality, features, and ability. I will own another.

Buy with Caution!!!
By UnhappyDiscoOwner on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned my Disco since December, 2000 and since that time I have had nothing but trouble. Here is the list: Oil Pan leak, Main Seal, Intake Manifold, Right and left Head Gasket Oil Leak, Radiator Replacement, Four new Rotors and Brake Pads, Three ECU boxes(that contols the ACE,HDC,Traction control,etc...). Both sun Roofs had to be replaced, Drive shaft replacement Plus the regular maintenance and recalls. My disco has been in the shop a total of 31 days in the last year. Thank God I was covered under warrenty.

Only as good as the company!
By svaquarelle on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Every seal on this truck has gone during the warranty period. No wonder they have a 50,000 miler. The last factory recall took me out of service for 18 days! Yikes! I'm out of this truck since LR refused to extend my warranty and I no longer trust it. You cannot rely on this company! Don't buy one of these if the dealer is not within a few miles of your castle!