Used 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (79 reviews )

Looks good but looks aren't everything!
By marj

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

What I like: Elegant inside/out. Great views. Good Power. Excellent off-roading skills .Awesome Harman-Kardon sound system. Very easy to change exterior lightbulbs. Front seats are comfortable. Dual sunroofs are neat. What I hate: Premium gas/bad mileage (12 mpg). It's too narrow or I'm too wide. Windshield wipers are horrible. Dealer service is subpar. Feels unsafe at high speeds. Worthless cupholders & no console space. AAA man hates the oversized lugnuts. Rubber mats around console/dash are difficult to keep clean. Backseat is not very roomy. I've never had any engine problems but little things break all the time. Unless you have the extended warranty, I would be wary.

Dual sunroofs, Premium Harmon-Kardon soundsystem, Heated windshield, 4WD, How easy it is to change tail/brake lights, Easy to park due to its small size, Off-roading is fun.

The windshield wiper mechanism should be replaced. When there are drinks in the cupholders it smashes against the AC controls and that is irritating. There is very little storage space in the front seat area. The steering wheel "tilt" barely budges. Premium gasoline is stupid for an SUV.

LOVE IT!
By Dan Boshe

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I love this vehicle!!! Way too many people buy these Discoverys and say that there are many problems with them...I dissagree! I purchased mine back in Febuary of 2000. I have yet to have a problem with it! I also bought a used one for my son when he turned 16. Yes gas can be a strain, but overall we have yet to bring his in also. There are a few little things that have broken, but nothing I couldn't fix myself. Great vehicle!! I recommend for anybody wanted a great offroad vehicle or just for getting around town in style.

okay
By heynow

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Plus, the car rides stiff and has little body roll, very functional. Minus-wow-expensive to repair and gas mileage.

Handling

Better build quality.

NOT a well built vehicle
By steeler man

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle is not well built AT ALL! All sorts of problems...lock actuators,leaks,crappy cup-holders. This one has the ACE pkg and it whines like a scared cat. Replaced the ACE pump and it still screams. Wipers don't work half of the time and I could go on. You can't find anyone except a dealer over an hour away to work on them and they act like it's no big deal. I run an import car dealership and sell Honda,Mazda,Nissan and Suzukis. All of these have better build quality if you can believe that. The switches seem to have been put in the weirdest places. NO thinking person could have designed these locations.

Dual sun-roof. Appearance.

200 engineers should go into a room and not come out until they learn how to design a Land Rover that doesn't tear up every other day.

3 words: Do not buy.
By becareful

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

There is no point in trying to write about all of my horrible experiences with this vehicle. I don't have the space and you don't time. Suffice it to say that this car defines a "piece of crap." It was constantly needing repairs, which were absolutely astronomical at the dealership and virtually noone else would work on a Land Rover. Be smart: these reviews don't lie. This vehicle defines a "money pit." If you're thinking, "well I'll just buy a new one, they're under warranty." Forget it, because as soon as the warranty expires, you'll be paying the repair bills unless you sell it first - just wait until you try to sell it. You'll be lucky to get trade-in value by selling it private.

Exterior styling

Lan Rover understood that this was a looser, that's why the vehicle is being discontinued. That's right - even the dealership told me that the company could not rid themselves of the terrible reputation of the Discovery, so they're not making them anymore.