2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Review: 7 years with a Discovery II

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

7 years with a Discovery II
By DiscoIIOwner on

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this car for 7 years since new. It has the ACE active suspension. I had some initial problems with an electrical contact in the fuse box for the fuel pump. Once the dealer located the problem, the car has been rock solid. I have owned a 4 runner and an explorer and this car is far more stable and more capable. The 255X55X18 tires with 4 wheel disc brakes stop on a dime. Stopping distance is better than most other vehicles. Acceleration could be better but I did not buy this for it's performance. Winter traction is great. I drive I fairly conservatively. The original brakes lasted 57k miles and the original tires lasted 62k miles.

Drives well, feels solid. Excellent braking. Since the cargo area is fairly high, you can haul many items in here that you could not fit in another vehicle or that you would have to lay down. I live in Chicago and the aluminum body is not rusted by salt like steel cars are.

The mileage is pretty bad at 14 mpg. However, my 93 4Runner was a 6 cylinder and it got only 19 MPG and was not nearly as capable. The back seat can be hard to get into. I have had no mechanical problems but as with most higher end cars, I am assuming repairs at the dealer will be expensive.