2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (77 reviews )
Reliable Truck-Great Dealership
By Colson on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have my Disco II for 3 1/2 years now and have put 35000 miles on it. I have driven it on 2500 mile marathon business trips and taken it offroad many times. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle I have owned. The Disco has only had minor issues to be fixed such as trim pieces and the CD changer. But the dealership fixed them fast and free without arguement. Other Land Rover owners I have met all seem to sing the same tune. Years ago I drove a vintage 70's Range Rover through the rainforests in Costa Rica, that trip convinced me that Land Rover makes the ultimate SUV's!

Happy overseas LR family
By 5nomads on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Needed a vehicle for any terrain--and one serviced easily in Jordan where we now live. DII great on both counts. Driven lots off road; mileage/on road handling not great. Rear seats OK for kids, but can't haul ANYTHING with rear seats down. Recommend a roof rack if you travel with gear--like camping. Interior space OK for family of 4, but not adequate for the "modern" family of 5. Anyway, our DII has done everything we've asked and more; it blends in well here, which is a plus. Would purchase LR again--especially if 2005 design fixes some quirks, gives more power/room, and maintains the special aspects that make it so durable/capable off-road.

Just what I thought
By langm on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

It looks like it could go off road, and it can in comfort. Best pushrod engine I have ever used, good power. The zf transmission might be my favorite. Solid axles not as smooth as independent suspension but much stronger by light years. Brakes could last longer, mileage could be improved(uses high test), the only thing that I hate is the position of the remote gas take switch I hit it every time I go for change.

BEWARE
By Tomperk on 08/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Leased a new one - fully loaded. Had a tire blowout at 300 miles. Which messed up the power steering, unable to drive. Plauged with problems. Brakes every three months, belts breaking. You name it - it was replaced. Each of the sun roofs were replaced three times. It was a money pit! I was glad to see it go! Would NEVER own past warrenty!!!

Built for Bad Weather, Not Comfort
By genec on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Great off-road and less so on-road, I very much enjoyed owning and driving the Discovery despite its flaws in MPG, inconvenient interior amentities, wimpy wiper mechanism, and poor on-road performance. A funny anomoly: the vehicle can plow through 4 feet of water or snow (and I did both!), but the wiper motor breaks unless the windshield has been cleared of all snow & ice!

3 years with Discovery II, & all is well
By Cletis on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I test drove this car in March in Chicago during a freezing rain shower. I couldn't make this car break loose. The traction was amazing. The car felt solid, very stable, had more storage room than my 4runner, and with the low center of gravity and the ACE option, seemed less likely to roll over. The aluminum body will not rust either (a big + for here in Chicago). The visibility is excellent. The braking ability is excellent. It's sort of slow with respect to accelleration but, if I wanted a fast car I would have bought a Mustang. Other that a loose connection in the fuse box that affected the fuel pump, the car has been perfect for 3 years and counting.

A hunk of junk
By Techguy on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

If you own this vehicle - you have my sympathy. If you are considering buying this car - don't. We have had problems with this car since the day we bought it. Check engine light comes on evey month due to some "leak" in the system. Power steering self-destructed around 30k and need to be replaced. Cup holder fell off, buttons stick, etc. etc. etc. Horrible gas mileage, no acceleration, very tight for a 6' 200lb guy. I'm trading it in today for an Acura MDX. This seems like a much better vehicle.

perfect 10
By Jayuf492U on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this vehicle

It's a keeper!
By BVL on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I leased this car in June 2000 and have decided to buy it at lease end. The only "problem" was getting new brakes and rotors at 23,000 miles, but that's expected when you live in a hilly town like San Francisco. The scheduled maintenance is fantastic. There are rough roads in SF, so I am amazed that there aren't more rattles and squeaks. The dealer is excellent and though I realize that parts and such might cost more than other makes, the track record so far offers comfort that these inevitabilities will be worth it.

Part II (see review from last year)
By carzilla on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

OK, I admit I was wrong. I was so glad to turn this car back in on a 3 year lease I did a happy dance. If you are over 6' do not even think about this car. My back hurt every night for years after the :30 commute home. Other issues: blown head gasket at 30k miles, dead alternator, took 3 months to get repair parts from England after a minor wreck.