Used 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Land-rover Discovery-series-ii - Consumer Reviews

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (79 reviews )

7 years with a Discovery II
By DiscoIIOwner

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this car for 7 years since new. It has the ACE active suspension. I had some initial problems with an electrical contact in the fuse box for the fuel pump. Once the dealer located the problem, the car has been rock solid. I have owned a 4 runner and an explorer and this car is far more stable and more capable. The 255X55X18 tires with 4 wheel disc brakes stop on a dime. Stopping distance is better than most other vehicles. Acceleration could be better but I did not buy this for it's performance. Winter traction is great. I drive I fairly conservatively. The original brakes lasted 57k miles and the original tires lasted 62k miles.

Favorite Features

Drives well, feels solid. Excellent braking. Since the cargo area is fairly high, you can haul many items in here that you could not fit in another vehicle or that you would have to lay down. I live in Chicago and the aluminum body is not rusted by salt like steel cars are.

Suggested Improvements

The mileage is pretty bad at 14 mpg. However, my 93 4Runner was a 6 cylinder and it got only 19 MPG and was not nearly as capable. The back seat can be hard to get into. I have had no mechanical problems but as with most higher end cars, I am assuming repairs at the dealer will be expensive.

Isn't it funny...
By Rover Guy

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Isn't is funny how people buy a used truck and then complain that it breaks? When maintained properly, these are phenomenal vehicles. It didn't stop being a premier upscale vehicle when you bought it cheap and used, so the maintenance requirements are still that of an expensive European vehicle. Buy one without records and you're rolling the dice. As for me, I have a 2000, 2002, and two 2004 Discos and none have ever broken down. Sure, they have had little problems like any car- broken door lock, wiper motor. Big deal- if you can't afford to maintain a car properly, don't get it.

Favorite Features

Goes ANYWHERE. These vehicles in stock form can tackle terrain that stops others dead in their tracks.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is understated, but maybe a little more upscale touch without being an LR3 (Discovery III) would have been nice. Rest in peace, REAL Land Rover heritage.

BEST VALUE on the market!! Thanks!
By SUVLOVER

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I just love this car. The design is perfect, and the interior is a dream with the suede leather doors, dual sunroofs etc. B/c of the negative posters on this board, I used this as a big bargaining chip to get my SUV for only $8,000! My LRII is in fantastic condition with the 18" rims and and all. I used to have a $80,000 G500, and frankly, my DRII is just about the same! So again, THANK YOU to all the negative posters! Anybody who complains about Gas Mileage should be a stand up comedian! Also, anybody who takes these cars to dealerships to get them services are ASKING to be stolen from. Come on guys, go find an honest mechanic. They charge HALF the labor. Do NOT get ripped off!

Favorite Features

Sumptuous interior, high ride hight, 18" wheels, unique styling, unique, H/K sound system, open feeling and sunroofs.

Suggested Improvements

I love this SUV so far :) Improvements for a 2000 should be to have side curtain airbags, but i knew what I was busying.

British Steel
By TheCapn

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Without doubt, a love or hate (or even love/hate) truck. I have not driven a vehicle that I liked or trusted more. This is 4800 lbs of British steel and is hard to break. Sharp and distinct look. Still a truck, but quite comfortable. Creates sense of performance, reliability, and security whether under extreme conditions, traveling overland, or as a daily driver. Controls intuitive and the view cannot be beaten. Warranty is great. That said, the mechanical problems one does run into with the Discovery are too common and quite expensive. And it is true, LR is apathetic at best about maintaining customers. Both are frustrating given how much fealty the Disco will inspire.

Favorite Features

Look. Drive comfort. Sense of safety, security, and confidence. The trust to go anywhere and do anything, in style. Unique juxtaposition of truck and luxury.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical reliability. LR customer service. Dealers can be hit or miss, particularly considering expectation.

If it isn't one thing, it's another
By Can't afford to sell

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I Have had non stop issues with my Dicovery. 3 out of 5 doors only open from the inside.the rear moonroof will not open anymore,the front leaks, the upper rear side window leaks. Buttons broke on seats and horn, heater display does not light. My driver side seat heater does not work. Leather Seat cracked on side. Just replaced thermostat and waterpump, And the AC still does not work and you have to go 80 mh down a highway for the heat to heat up and when your stoped at a stop light, it gets cold. keep replacing windshield whiper arms. Rattles!!! Who knows where that comes from, We havent been able to figure it out. OH YA and my favorite, it sounds like ther is a waterfall in my dash board ???

Favorite Features

Looks great from the outside