Used 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Land-rover Discovery-series-ii - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (79 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Like nothing else, blows asian and domestic cars away
By mwahlgren7

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

People will claim that the discovery was the worst car ever because a light came on the dashboard, or that brakes had to be replaced. Many of the things that could go wrong with a discovery have to do with the driver's negligence or driving style. I have taken care of my disco and she has taken care of me. Driving position and view like no other vehicle, fantastic in the snow, and looks good to boot. Dual sunroofs still entertain me to this day and the sound system is really nice. Aside from a plastic t piece in the cooling system braking, nothing has gone wrong. Feels utterly solid when driving, very heavy and reassuring. Makes my dad's tacoma feel like a dishwasher.

Favorite Features

-Exterior -Ride -Visibility -Quality

Suggested Improvements

Would've been great to see a diesel

A real SUV, not a metro...
By Jindodog

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned 5 rovers now over the last 15 years, a Land Rover first, a series II, a Discovery, a Land Rover Contry and now this Discovery II. Mind you my first car was a Triumph TR6 back in 1977, so I "get" the British car thing. That being said, compaired to a boat, these Rovers are great. With an ocean going boat (long range, non coastal) you expect to have "issues". But you also expect it to be well found and basicly capable of what it was intended to do. That is what Rovers are all about. Expect persnickty problems but know that you are driving a world class very capable machine. This car can bail you out of many tough conditions, they truly are amazing in their capabilities!

Favorite Features

They get the job done, they are stone cold reliable in the worst conditions. Not in the "posh" department but in the function side.

Suggested Improvements

More power, less fuel burned and solve all of the rest of the worlds problems. But in the real world, this truck is great as long as you can do the needed maintanance yourself.

Steer Clear of this Vehicle
By martin303

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, this purchase was the worst decision of my life. Bought this car for ecological work and needed towing capacity. After 3 years, I have never used this vehicle for it's intended purpose. Before I drove it home the first time the water pump went out. The second time the drive shaft fell off. Apparently, this is 'common' on LR. Everything has unusual engineering making repairs both extensive and extremely expensive. Tires are even outrageous. Though I validated this vehicle had a newer engine in it, virtually everything else has fallen apart. HORRIBLE mileage. Only put about 10K miles on it due to issues. Drove my Ford Explorer about 40K / yr for work...

Favorite Features

Looks good = seat warmers, passed emissions, great in snow if tires ok, won't rust because it's always in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, everything mechanical

A Matter of Perspective
By tannert

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Our 2000 Discovery was purchased used from a man who did not take good car of it, and was not truthful of it's previous life, so it's been rough going. Nice easy to clean leather with comfortable seats. The second row is nice. You can carry adults, but not fitting for long car rides. and their knees will be rubbing a little bit. The third row can seat children.

Favorite Features

If you're looking for a secondhand SUV that makes you feel like a million bucks, this is it. Range Rovers are too plush for these model years. The Discovery kept it rugged. An amazing driving position and many creature comforts with heated front seats, dual zone climate control, two sunroofs.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine design. Bosch rebuilt a solid Buick V8, and fussed it up a bit. Currently the engine is ripped apart in the midst of a head gasket repair, and impromptu engine gasket overhaul. Will end up costing around $400 in parts, but no labor as I'm doing it myself. Get yourself a good metric socket set and read, read, read the repair manuals. MORE POWER! Seriously lacking in acceleration, this vehicle weighs way too much. Maybe an aftermarket supercharger?

Eat Sleep Rover
By Best4x4xFar

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I got my rover from my parents as my first car. When we first got it we had several repairs that would require fixing. Lucky we were part of a Land Rover Club (which I recommend for all Land Rover owners to find) so we got the parts cheaper and installed by members for no charge. So all I can say is just be ready to work on the Disco if you get one but it is worth it.

Favorite Features

The sound system is awesome all but the bass in the back are stock and running find. The OFF-ROADING!

Suggested Improvements

Redo the ABS system because it does give problems. Also the 6-CD changer could be in a better spot beside underneath the front-passengers seat.